Sinister: guilty of sloth in the third degree

Mark Casarotto Mark at xxx.com
Thu Jun 10 11:23:35 BST 1999

You know that feeling of utter, almost takes-you-by-surprise loathing you
get when a band appears who stand for everything you loathe? For me this
includes Embrace, M People and The Lighthouse Family, obvious choices I know
but you can't really argue, can you; anyway, that was how I felt about Shed
Seven when they first "burst" onto the scene with a chocolate starfish for a
lead singer and those awful awful early singles.

And then something happened. It's all the Wonder Stuff's fault. Hup! was the
album (along with The Trinity Session by the Cowboy Junkies) that got me
into indie music (as judged by the Chart Show's Indie chart, which always
had that awful Black Francis man caterwauling about sewage and the like),
and the resemblance of "

Allen Usher ruminated on:
Guilt at work. Its a pisser, isn't it? I have been gradually weaning myself
off personal emails, sort of, but the fact that I have very little that's
desperately urgent to do here means that my naturally lazy and shameful
temperament triumphs over my ambition and diligence pretty much every time.
When I am doing urgent things, I feel great! I actually like working hard -
it's just in my own time, with my own discipline, it's a losing battle, but
one which, at 25, I seriously have to sort out before it threatens my
career...

He also mentioned April March, which was so appealingly written up on
Amazon.com that I ordered it blind. It's sweet, I suppose, but not very
strong in the tunes department. A bit like a non-techno Pizzicato 5 with
hairgrips.

my comic celebrity moments are few and far between, and no doubt far too
anglo-centric to be interesting to most of you anyway. I did once have to
basically carry a rather merry Jane Horrocks to a taxi a few years ago,
whereby I stood back bashfully as she had her first ever snog with the
father of her children. Aaaw :) And I slagged off Patsy Kensit, not
realising that she was sitting in the cinema seat in front of me - well, not
until she turned round and glared at me, anyway...

No B&S content at all. Well, B&S make *me* content - will that do? No? Ho
hum...

Love Mark, co-host of "Tigermilking" at Upstairs at the Garage, Highbury &
Islington tube, Friday 11th June xxx
____
"He's making violent love to me, Mother!"
Mary Bailey, "It's a Wonderful Life"