Sinister: 10 Roddington Place

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Fri Jun 11 15:50:23 BST 1999

Pat Smear? Wasn't she in EastEnders? Or am I mixing up character names
and plot lines again?

It's been a funny old week. I've bought two albums from people with
really boring names, in fact they both sound like members of the
Preston and District Turnip Growers' Association - Dennis Brown and
Bill Evans. What makes matters even spookier is the fact that on both
occasions I had to choose between someone with a boring name and
someone with a really fantastic exciting name - Dennis or Everton
Blender and Bill or Willie Bobo. Uncanny. I'm yet to be entirely
convinced of Dennis's magnificence, but Bill's album is a corker -
"Bill Evans, From Left to Right: Playing the Fender-Rhodes Electric
Piano and the Steinway Piano" It features two fantastic versions of
"What Are You Doing With the Rest of Your Life? North and South and
East and West of Your Life?", one of the most beautiful songs of all
time, and something called "Children's Play Song" for extra twee
points. It's very relaxing, you'll like it. Cheap too. Buy it or rot
in Hell for all eternity. Unless you don't want to. Or you've already
got it.

I've also received two fantastic fanzines: "Segundos de Luz" from Our
Jordi is a great improvement on the last issue, and is packed with
interesting features, photos and fun. And Matthew Hintz's address. The
fanzine's in Spanish, but don't let that put you off - it contains a
photo of Isobel Campbell speaking the international language of school
uniform wearing - PHWOOAR! And a drawing of Camber Sands chalets by
Mad Dog Murdoch that looks like a bus. And a special message from Mick
Cooke. What else can I say? One day, issue two of "Segundos de Luz"
will be as sought after as origianl vinyl copies of "Tigermilk". Ask
for it at your local newsagents, or order one directly from Mister
Jordi. Before it's too late.

I've also received issue 2 of "Trousercuts - The Magazine for Men",
which also looks fantastic. However, I immediatelty scrambled through
it looking for the answers to last week's quiz. Alas, I look destined
to remain ignorant. Furthermore, the absence of Keith Watson
University of Rock is a bitter blow, that I hope will be rectified in
the next issue. Not that these minor criticisms should detract from
the overall impression of a slickly produced must-have for the
culturally ambitious man about town or his bit of fluff.
Congratulations to Trousers for the spookily appropriate pictures of
Cubans going about their daily business. Tag, do you think that the
"Pitbull" bloke from "Black Cat, Whte Cat" looks like Bobby Ball from
Cannon and Ball? I do.

That Bill Evans LP I mentioned also has a fantastic cover photo of
Bill playing two pianos at once with a heavily ash-ladenn fag hanging
out of his mouth. Wow! It's a CD, but I say LP to sound groovy.

David "Dizzy" Moore wrote:

: - I had lunch with Barnes Wallis once, -

Did he demonstrate the idea behind his most famous invention, using a
boiled potato and several strategically placed soup bowls, leaving
young Master Moore awestruck and soup-splattered?

I agree that the opening credit sequence of Gary Glitter and Roy Wood
biopic "Velvet Goldmine" is the best bit of the film by a long chalk.
I don't know who that song from "The Dreamlife of Angels" is by, but
only because I've forgotten. It's called Something or other Street.

And don't think I didn't spot those two capital letters the other day,
Andrew Dean.

Yours sincerely,

Sister Disco.