Sinister: My First Posting

P68d6ern at xxx.com P68d6ern at xxx.com
Sat Jun 12 19:17:50 BST 1999

Hello Everyone:

Surprisingly I do not have much to say at the moment; so perhaps I will tell
you a bit about myself. I recently turned 31 and I am currently working
towards my Ph.D. (History), and I live in New York City.

Music? Well, of course I like music. My favorites--other than Belle and
Sebastian--are: the Beatles, Yo La Tengo, East River Pipe, Guided By Voices,
Palace (Bros., Songs, etc.), you know stuff like that. Oh yeah, I really love
the French composer Erik Satie.

Oh, I do have one Belle and Sebastian related story. It would appear that my
friends are much too "cool" to listen to bands such as Belle and Sebastian.
About two years ago I made a mix tape for a friend of mine; this tape
included the song Judy and the Dream of Horses, and his reaction to the song
was: "how could you listen to this, it has a I IV V progression?" Now, this
person is not a Knitting Factory jazz freak, but there is this attitude among
a certain segment of the so-called "downtown scenesters" of my fair city that
look down upon any form of music that is not "difficult" to listen to.
Meaning if a song lacks dissonance, or has a basic chord progression, this
song is not worth listening to--well, what can one do? Not much, except to be
secure in the knowledge that some people are allowing their notions of
"hipness" interfere with what can be a pleasurable listening experience (was
there enough sarcasm in that sentence?).

Sorry for that rant. Hopefully in the future my postings will be much more
interesting.
Thank-you, and have a nice day.
Joseph