Sinister: Robin Stout wins the LLPJ video contest and I give up

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Sun Jun 13 21:21:41 BST 1999

Dear all,

As my subject line implies, I was mightily impressed with Robin's effort and I
think everyone should email him to say he's VERY VERY FUNNY.  That wasn't
sarcastic, it was heartfelt.  You can tell when I'm being sarcastic because I
put that clever ~ snakey thing in that Northy invented.

However, I do think you've everyone has got Lazy Line Painter Jane all wrong.  I
have listened carefully to all the interpretations that have been kindly
offered, but have come to the conclusion that you are all barking up the wrong
tree.  It all came to me in a flash.  The whole thing only makes sense when
you realise that Jane is a cat.  She picked up her nasty railing-licking habits
from that bad cat Elvis down the road.  He licks pavements, but Jane likes to be
different.  Which is her downfall.

marie teased us with:

>la la la la la
>(now guess which b&s song Those "la's" come from!)

I like this competition.  I plump for 'Photo Jenny'.  *Thinks*  Maybe loveable
fat people who like to make light of their weight could wear T-Shirts that say
'I plump for England' or whatever.  It wouldn't be funny, but T-shirts never
are.  They're a bit like sig files and Simpsons reruns.  Nothing's funny
forever, except small children falling over and hurting themselves.  I was
thinking of buying a 'My friend went to London and all he got me was this lousy
T-shirt!'  T-shirt, but then started wondering if ironic anti-fashion was all a
bit passe.

Joseph wrote:

>the Beatles, Yo La Tengo, East River Pipe, Guided By Voices,
>Palace (Bros., Songs, etc.), you know stuff like that. Oh yeah, I really love
>the French composer Erik Satie.

Ooh - the godfather of musak, No.23 in the Independent on Sunday's smartarse
'20th Century Classics That Won't Last' series.  Still, I salute any man whose
tastes are as broad as this.  Guided by Voices, Erik Satie AND Bros. *

A member of Surrey University's Process and Physical Metallurgy Group told us
all about his obsession with The Boss.  I do like it when people post personal
emails to the list in error.  It's like being caught with your pants down, but
without the sex bit.  Although sex might be involved. I'm looking forward to the
day HoneyPaul mistakenly posts his filthy kiddie-porn fantasies to the list.
Actually, I'm not.  I apologise for the comments I made some moments ago.  But
not sincerely enough to go back and delete them.

To anyone still interested, NonKiddiePornHoney has now posted up those
unrealeased lyrics I compiled in a new 'Lonely lyrics without a home' section at
http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/lyrics.html

I have driven myself insane listening to the third line of 'Lord Anthony' over
and over and over.  Steady Mike has thrown a cat amongst the pigeons with the
suggestion that it might be 'Or are you still into *punking up* though you're a
toff.'  Which excited me for a while, but having listened to it again, I'm not
convinced.  Also, Tim Hopkins is with me in the 'I don't think the second line
of Loneliness of the Middle Distance Runner mentions dogs lying down' camp.  But
had no better suggestions.  It's not a very interesting camp.  I came up with
'The dark clouds down the pouring rain' and thought this at least made a sort of
sense, but falls down on the grounds that it's not actually what he sings.
Sorry about all this - sometimes, I amaze myself with how tedious I can be.  I
think Stuart Gardiner needs to provide people with a means of withdrawing their
listcrush votes.

Now that we know 'Landslide' is just a canny pastiche and not a little-known
Marvelettes B-Side, perhaps someone with a tape of Camber Sands would like to
have a go at deciphering Isobel's breathy mumblings.  Because I can't face it.
I thought it was called 'Last Night' until the set-list got posted.  Of course,
you could just wait until the album comes out and save yourself the bother.  If,
as our Teletext monitoring spies would have it (see
http://sinister.1999-month-06/feelingsinister/mhonarc/199902/msg00197.html )
, Lord Anthony and Loneliness are going to be on the single, then as I was
saying to someone under the table, it means that not a single song of Stuart
Murdoch's from the new album has been given a public airing.  I bet he thinks
they're really good and wants to stun us all when it's released.  And I bet he's
right too, the bastard.  'Marx and Engels', 'I Fought In A War', 'Once Upon A
Weekend', 'Wake Her Up' - I think the excitement at reading these titles got
lost in the post-Brits furore.  New competion: guess what these songs are about.
The first two sound like Struan's gone all bolshy.  Not that he wasn't before.
There was a great debate in the earlyish days of Sinister about whether Belle &
Sebastian were a political band or not.  I believe the Duke won it on points.
Bring back the Duke.

Would anyone like to tell me which Sea & Cake album to buy?

Nick xx

* Sorry, the Bros bit was a gratuitious deliberate misunderstanding.