Sinister: Bill Evans/breaking the bank

Michael Lucey mlucey at xxx.edu
Mon Jun 14 21:32:22 BST 1999

Another recent arrival from the nursery here, and hearing someone mention
Bill Evans gives me a prod into a tentative first post, missing any signs
of cleverness unfortunately, but maybe I'll work up to that later:

PJMiller said:'" Bill's album is a corker -
"Bill Evans, From Left to Right: Playing the Fender-Rhodes Electric
Piano and the Steinway Piano" It features two fantastic versions of
"What Are You Doing With the Rest of Your Life? North and South and
East and West of Your Life?", one of the most beautiful songs of all
time,.......That Bill Evans LP I mentioned also has a fantastic cover photo of
Bill playing two pianos at once with a heavily ash-ladenn fag hanging
out of his mouth. Wow! It's a CD, but I say LP to sound groovy."

I like Bill Evans too,  and I guess he liked Michel Legrand, who wrote
"what are you doing the rest of your life."  On his record (I say record
coz i bought it on vinyl in a record store up the road...)  "I will say
goodbye"  he does 2 excellent versions of the title song --also by Michel
Legrand, along with a nice version of Dolphin Dance by Herbie Hancock, and
a Bacharach tune and a Mandel tune. It just has a picture of a road on the
cover, which isn't so terribly exciting, but there's a little inset photo
of him and his trio-- and he's looking very 1977, as in---Shave off that
beard bill!  He was very clean cut in the 60s, according to his album
photos, but boy, those 70s! His album photos do get a little scary.

OK so, B&S stuff.  My friend Gerry and I went all the way from SF to
Bowlie, because we were worried that B&S would never come here. We had a
fab time.  We're very happy Looper is coming to SF in July. Will Oldham is
playing the same venue the next night. We'd get a kick out of going to
Bowlie 2, (esp if Felt appears!), but are worried our credit cards would
melt--especially since we've already almost melted them so that we could go
to Paris this summer  (too soon after Bowlie 1 to have paid anything
off...), and are tempted to take the train to London to see Marc Almond
while we are there( what do you think?).

Anyway, it's a real kick hanging out with you folks.

Cheers,
Michael