Sinister: England Made Me (not really!)

McQuain, Chris CMcQuain at xxx.org
Tue Jun 15 03:26:23 BST 1999

EssexDog5 barked:

>>Black Box Recorder are phenomenal. That's all. Oh, and buy the Baahder
Meinhof album too. That's even more, erm, all. Pip pip! <<

And Chris(topher Robin) responds:

Black Box Recorder are, indeed, phenomenal. As was Baader Meinhoff. As are
the Auteurs (new single out now, called "The Rubettes" apparently after a
1970s bubblegum-glam group, yet to arrive in Oregon, whinge). As is Mr. Luke
Haines, for those who don't know the mastermind behind all aforementioned
projects, a man whom I would like to nominate to the
Morrissey/Cocker/Murdoch level of songwriting genius (there's a second tier
with the love triangle of Albarn/Frischmann/Anderson, also rather
impressive, Albarn less so than the other two)- he [Haines] is alarmingly
clever, artistic, passionate, and creative.

Best lyrics off the heart-pulverizing BBR record "England Made Me", from the
tune "Swinging":

"Are you a hardcore hooligan? Did you really burn the old school down?/If I
set fire to you now, would you even make a sound?"

*sigh* perfection! :) And a voice like a cold, cold Mary Poppins wrapping
itself around those dire and sarcastic Haines bons mots....!!!

FYI, Black Box Recorder are now fortuitously signed to the suave and elegant
indie label nude records, who really know how to push a band (Suede, of
course, and Ultrasound is rather omnipresent now as well, as I'm sure all
you UK inkyweekly readers know. I quite like Ultrasound) so good for them.
and speaking of the nude records stable of talent, a late R.I.P. for
Sharkboy.

Sorry for no B&S content but you can bet your bippie I'll be posting within
hours of the upcoming Looper show. You know how Homer Simpson, mouth agape,
drools in anticipation of donuts and beer? That is me when I think that it
is but 3 short weeks until I will be witnessing Looper in my home town.

-Chris

"Lend yourself to others, and give yourself to yourself."