Sinister: How many listens does it take to get to the centre of a BelleAndSebastianPop?

allen ussher at xxx.ca
Tue Jun 15 18:14:50 BST 1999

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Brandt S. Fundak wrote:

> Before you start to get sick of it that is?  Nick's comment that he could
> only watch a Simpsons episode three or four times before he gets sick of it
> reminded me that my friends have been telling me lately that they have
> burned themselves out on Belle and Sebastian (even though they are looking
> forward to the Tigermilk re-release.) So what about you guys?  Have any of
> you had to swear off Belle and Sebastian for a while because you listened
> to it to much?

I find if I listen to something continuously for months and never stop
listening to it, I will never get tired of it (currently LLPJ, but used to
be MBV's Loveless and Sloan's Twice Removed).  But once I STOP listening to
it and start listening to something else, I can never go back to the
original recording with the same emotions and attachment. :( I've found this
with with IYFS and TBWTAS.  They're still fun to listen to, but I can no
longer get lost in the songs completely.

> Okay now that that's out of the way, I would like to say that while I have
> at times stopped listening to Belle and Sebastian, there are certain
> episodes of the Simpsons I could watch over and over again.  Recent
> favorites include the episode where Lisa becomes a vegetarian, the fat
> Homer episode, and the episode where Troy McClure marries Selma (you can
> not beat Planet of the Apes the Musical)

Oh, good lord, I was laughing so hard at the Planet of the Apes musical.
Once the apes started to breakdance I completely lost it.

Ooh, ooh, I've got one of those daily Homerisms calendar on my desk and
today's Homer quote is,

  "That's fine for you, Marge.  But I used to rock
   and roll all night and party every day.  Then it was
   every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an
   hour a week in which to get funky.  I've got to get
   out of this rut and back into the groove!"

I saw A Bout De Souffle (Breathless) this weekend and marvelled at Jean
Seberg's screen presence (and her beauty).  But I was later disheartened
when I found out she later committed suicide and didn't have a very happy
life.  Isn't it quite sad to find out how fragile our heroes can be?  I
picked up a biography on her and have started reading and I just know it's
gonna get sad later on...

Cheers, all.
Allen (ICQ: #35152981)
--