Sinister: lua, lua, lua, lua,

Cynthia Someone csomeone at xxx.com
Tue Jun 15 21:13:13 BST 1999

Hello puppies;

Justin W. asked:
>>So,  consequently, when I listen to music, I get nothing done, and Ilisten
music A LOT. When I watch TV, read, or amuse myself with frivolties, I
usually am consciously aware that I am distracting myself from reality, but
with music am I somehow subconsciously validating it because it has the
ability to make one transcend reality without realizing it? <<
          This is the way I look at it: Your body needs food and water to
survive, but your mind and your heart need stimulation, too. I think too
many people worry about the "reality" of being productive, keeping the
capitalist machine going, too much, and actually don't pay ENOUGH attention
to art (music, films, books etc).  The question is; what are one's
priorities? Is ART the distraction, or is mundane, mediocre "reality" what
really distracts us from attempting true passion in life? And even if art IS
the distraction, don't we need one from the oppressive boredom of our
workaday routines?

I quite agree. We do need something besides the static and unliving
(computers, frighteningly rhythmical machines. Art is living. people make it
so. Meanwhile, machine, behaving like a machine, is like trying to create
artificial life. Office work is like trying to make machines out of people:
creating static rhythms in our life. Which comes across as fake, fake, fake,
subconsciously, and creating stress in our lives. Life is chaos, not static.

Music is art made out of time, having no physical, solid counterpart, it is
not made up of space in the empirical sense. I think that is the reason why
music "subconsciously validates reality". It is innocuous, it is subtle. In
some mystic traditions, sound and vibration is actually the basis of all the
material of this world, (cf. Sufism, and field theory.)It is the essence of
our reality.

I'm off like a bee's butt:

Cynthia