Sinister: re: the kids are *not* alright

Schaffenberger, Kristen kschaffe at xxx.Edu
Wed Jun 16 00:16:09 BST 1999

herr dave writes:

this is a derivation of the Charlie Brown dance, where the fists are
tapped
on top of one another, then the thumbs are pointed over the shoulders,
and
then the hands are waved in a kind of "no, not good" gesture.

  My personal favorite dance from the Peanuts cartoons is Snoopy's.  To
perform this dance, one must tip one's head back very far, close one's eyes,
smile with teeth, spread arms, and just sort of wiggle the top and bottom
halves of the body while shifting from foot to foot.  If one has a partner,
one can join hands with the partner to perform a variation on the Snoopy
dance.  I do this dance whenever something really good happens or when I am
very excited.  Sometimes I con my friends into dancing Snoopy style with me,
but the dance never seems to last long.

  BTW, Did anyone else REALLY like the Christmas trees in the Charlie Brown
Christmas special?  I loved the way they looked when I was a kid, all pink
and aluminum and artificial... Yum.  Okay, not just when I was a kid.  I
still think they look pretty cool, at least as I remember them.

  Simpsons moment?  My cousins and I still laugh over the first episode we
all watched together, wherein Homer picks up the phone and cries, "Quick,
operator!  I need the number for 911!!!!"

  Mark, send me an email, would you?  My school account changed servers and,
consequently, all my saved messages and addresses were deleted.  Boo.

  My mom, whose taste in reading material tends to run along somewhat
prosaic, Oprah's book club type novels, lent me Golden's MEMOIRS OF A
GEISHA.  I stayed up all night reading it, partially because I'm afraid of
the bugs that seem to wander into my apartment these last few days, and I
get sort of creeped out when I think about them coming into my little
bedroom while I sleep.  A harmless (but through the fog of sleep very
frightening)little beetle landed on my shoulder around five this morning.
Like Dickinson, I heard it buzz near my ear, and I thought I'd die if I
didn't shake it off me and scoot it outside with a broom.  The point of this
little anecdote?  Read MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA.

  Since there are so many people on this list, and since so many of them
seem to know about lots and lots of different things, can I ask if anyone
knows how to get paint off hardwood floors?  If so, will you email me
privately and let me know?  I've tried a variety of oil-based cleaners,
which have helped somewhat.  Alas, the painters who did up my place before I
moved in last month had absolutely no respect for its hundred year old
floors.  (If you're a careful reader, you'll wonder why an apartment would
be a hundred years old.  The truth of the matter is that I live in a house
that was BUILT at the turn of the century, but divided into six apartments
during the Great Depression.  So there, I'm not just making up stories).

  My god, this is the longest post I've sent to this list in, like, a year.

  Love to all,
  Kristen