Sinister: Over-sized dildoes and clitoris rings, these are a few of my favo rite things

Newth, Tom TNewth at xxx.com
Wed Jun 16 14:50:38 BST 1999

Please, please I beg of you, no more Simpsons.

I love The Simpsons as much as the next person. Maybe even more (though I
too get tired of certain episodes after a while - only last night I had to
fast forward through Santa's Little Helper's Operation in favour of Miss
Krabapple's Lonely Heart) but surely there's a site out there that can
accommodate everyone's "My favorite bit/episode/character/line etc etc"??
And how much fun must that be, eh? Please don't react angrily to me: it has
been amusing to read everyone's faves, but there's a time and a place isn't
there? That said, the best episode is the John Waters one ("We work hard, we
play hard". And my computer plays "I am evil Homer.." every time I get new
mail from one of you lovely sinisterines much to the "amusement" of my work
colleagues. Oh, and in relation to the Kimberly-initiated thread about men,
my ladyfriend obsesses about them just as much as I do (and does a better
impression of Mr Burns). It's maybe because she says I am like Homer.
Actually, that's what my mum says about my dad too.

That said, I do sympathise indirectly - most obsessions about this sort of
thing tend to be harboured by men. Apparently it's because we're all
semi-autistic (there was a programme on BBC 2 about it). And this is why B&S
are so great - there's no easy way to explain it, but it really does seem
that the amount of girls who obsess over B&S nearly approaches the amount of
boys (although at Tigermilking there did seem to be a 3 to 1 ratio of boys
to girls..) If anyone has a theory, I'd be interested to know. All I know is
that somehow it feels like a healthy obsession, presumably for the same
reason, and not one that has to hide behind closed doors (unlike, say,
certain individuals' obsession for Royal Trux.) (Oh OK, my obsession). While
I'm on this subject, I too have found myself tiring of B&S sometimes, when
I've listened to them too much. But this happens with so many things, even
Royal Trux. I reckon it's like rechargeable batteries - put them away for a
little while and when you get them out again, the listenability will be
topped up to normal again (or abnormal, depending on how you want it).
Except unlike rechargeable batteries the piles or whatever they are don't
get worn down every time you put them in them. There's a pun in there
somewhere but I'm not even going to try... Anyhoo, point is, I have a really
boring walk to and from the tube and stepping out of the house of a morning
and walking up the hill with The State I'm In/Track & Field/The first one
off TBWTAS that I can never remember the name of... will always put a spring
in my step. I do find their capacity for bringing joy to the heart just
remarkable - they're one of those rare bands whom I cannot imagine why
anyone with any sense/taste/sensitivity wouldn't at least like if not fall
in love with (unlike Royal Trux, sadly). And that happens all too rarely. In
fact, despite finding a handful of bands indispensable to my travelling tape
collection when going away, and a good many others too hard live without, I
cannot think of another band about whom I think there's no reason for anyone
not to like them. But it's normally a good test if Mum's like them. (though
my mum also quite likes Alan Parsons Project which was a fad round our house
a few years back. Quite a few.)

On another thread, it's nice to have seen jolly old Jean-Luc Godard raising
his ever-so-clever head on the list; for all the Satie fans out there,
certain of his pieces pop up in a Godard film but I can't remember which
one. So you 'll have to watch them all to find out (I wish you luck
retaining your sanity). Oh, it's not One Plus One, though I definitely
recommend that. Keith's never looked so cool. (there you go - two threads in
one. Nearly.) And it's not King Lear either. Anyone who does want to watch
the whole Godard oeuvre would be advised to do themselves a favour and skip
this one. It's not worth it, even for a laugh (it's the one Quentin
Tarantino said he'd been in figuring no-one would have seen it. He was
probably right, and surprisingly for one who is so consistently wrong and
such a prize twat, on this occasion he was more or less right). I thought it
would be amusing, I thought it would be a good boast, but  no. I mention it
here only for humanitarian reasons. You have been warned. The only excuse is
for Woody Allen completists. Or Molly Ringwald obsessives. And I know
there's some of you out there.

Nice also to know someone else (Arantxa) remember's Winona Ryder's citing
the Replacements as her favourite band (this would be about ten years ago).
Apparently she followed them around everywhere (isn't that called
stalking?). In the same breath she also said Tom Waits was her favourite and
so I went out and listened to Tom Waits. So much did I fall in love with his
brand of bitter sweet adult lounge music that I never got round to listening
to the Replacements. Did I miss out? Incidently, this was the same article
(in Sky) as she mentioned she never went anywhere without a copy of Catcher
In The Rye. Good name checking, I say. Mind you, the guy who shot John
Lennon, whatever his name was, never went anywhere without a copy of Catcher
In The Rye either. Go figure.

I wanted to put more Belle & Sebastian content in but I fear this is
probably long enough as it is. Sorry.

I love you all

spoon
xx

PS Funny no-one's mentioned that B&S are going to be cartoonised and feature
in the next series, with their own rendition of the theme tune. (apart from
Jordi). Matt Groenig knows my uncle and told him.