Sinister: Calling All Rude Boys and Girls

Graham MacArthur macarthur at xxx.com
Wed Jun 16 16:54:50 BST 1999

Dear sinister,

uh. I'm all ska-ed out. There is a limit to how much ska one girl can take.
but it was worth listening to a whole tape of it, with the promise of a ska
version of the James Bond theme in there somewhere. or was it? I feel a bit
like the man from High Fidelty who has bags of tapes so big he turns down
invites to the pub, because he's got so many tapes to get through.

So I learn Jace le petit would like to become a wall. A wall? for heavens
sake man use your imagination. You could prentend you were a wall sitting
down on a bench quite easily, couldn't you? you'd get to watch people walk
past. I watch people walking past from the same cafe in Hertford most days,
I always sit in the window with a nasty coffee (they don't make nice
coffee because it's not a nice cafe) and scowl at townies. If any object
could talk to me, I would like it to be a plastic braziliphant, because
they look like they know how to have a good time.

I've finished my exams you know. They're all gone. I have a whole summer
ahead of me and no plans except the probabilty of being dragged off
somewhere remote and dusty with the ma and pa. Why can't I live in Happy
Days? I mean the actual series. I want to live with the cunninghams. It was
never boring there. So what did you do in the holidays, when you were
younger? I need ideas. I have a small list, but it consists mostly of books
I Really Should Read. I thought I might go and see Top of the Pops one
week, (note international readers, this is a british pop music telly
programme) you know, live, and look really silly when the camera looks in
my direction.

Erica
(you know, the pouting S!T!A!R)
ahem!