Sinister: Godard, Seberg, BBR

McQuain, Chris CMcQuain at xxx.org
Wed Jun 16 17:47:12 BST 1999

Greetings, fair ones-

First off, to all you poor, ignorant people who are sniping at Black Box
Recorder (sometimes without ever even hearing them, and always without
understanding them) I say: I would give you a severe spanking if it weren't
for the fact that you would probably enjoy it, and in fact your anti-BBR
effusions were probably just a ploy to receive said paddling. The more YOU
hate them, the more WE love them.

This is to Tom Newth in particular and everyone in general:

I am also SO glad to see the infernally iconoclastic Jean-Luc Godard is
being resurrected on the list (although I can't stand the thought of the far
inferior Quentin being mentioned in the same breath).

My fave Godards in order:

1. My Life to Live
2. Contempt
3. Masculin/Feminin (for some reason, this strikes me as the most B&S-like,
don't ask why just see the movie)
4. Pierrot Le Fou
5. Alphaville
6. Breathless
8. Two or Three Things I Know About Her

...and I believe those are the ones I've seen. Please, everybody, write in
with YOUR favorites (and I'm only half joking about that).

I am currently working on a book about underappreciated '60s actresses,
including Anna Karina (in most of the films above, married to Godard at the
time), Liv Ullman, Bibi Andersson, Gena Rowlands,

AND

Jean Seberg. There is a movie called "From the Journals of Jean Seberg"
available on video, it's quite interesting even for non-Godard/Seberg fans.
It's a feminist take on Seberg's bumpy career, with Seberg played by Mary
Beth Hurt. It features Hurt as Seberg after her death, looking back with
wise hindsight at all her ups and downs and how terribly unfair the world
was to her. Highly recommended.

Au Revoir-

Two or Three Things I Know About Chris