Sinister: White Horses/10 Roddington Place/B&S Content & everything. And not much moaning.

Ailsa Ross ar981611 at xxx.uk
Wed Jun 16 18:45:08 BST 1999

No original thoughts of my own, so just musings on other people's
threads.

White Horses:
The Trash Can Sinatras covered it.  B-side of Only Tingue Can Tell.
Rather good.  When I went to type "Sinatras" there, I typed Sinister by
mistake.  I just did it again trying to explain.  You have finally taken
over my mind.  But it probably didn't take much doing.

Simpsons:
Why has no-one mentioned the Simpsons episode that has Sideshow Bob's
brother Cecil voiced by David Hyde Pierce and is written in the style of
an episode of Frasier in places?  That one was rather good.

First two verses of Slow Graffiti:
I thought it was about The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Me being all arsey about Celine Dion:
Adam said:
>     Erm, perhaps not...Alisa, you might have me a mite confused, or maybe a
> littlebit wrong, but perhaps not. i've not got a lot of time for the "4
> real" personages either, perhaps i'm a litle intolerant, or then maybe, and
> this is the POINT> what do people buy those 'records' for? its not as if
> they'll ever be off commercial radio, and i doubt that theres a dukebox in
> the land [esp. the one in Yeovil College...we tried to get Jon spencer on
> there; we did not suceed, Car%$%*££!!!! 3 times in 1/2 an hour, ow.],
> without it.

I don't see why if you like Celine Dion you should have to just sit
about and wait for the records to come on the radio/jukebox.  They
probably buy them because they like them and want to listen to them,
same as everyone here buys stuff they like because we want to listen to
that.  I own two Robbie Williams albums, it's not like his singles are
ever off the radio :)  There may well be a Celine Dion list somewhere
with an argument going on about why people bother buying Belle and
Sebastian records because Celine Dion fans can't understand what people
see in them.  Each to their own, eh?  Which means anyone wanting to slag
me off for liking Robbie Williams can be prepared for a mighty long mail
justifying my right to listen to whatever I want regardless of what
anyone else thinks.  And you *really* don't want to get into that...

Tim Hopkins baiting:
Sergeant Pepper is the greatest album ever in the entire history of the
world.  Vic Godard is over-rated.  Middle class white boys can't really
understand the point of reggae.

I might not necessarily agree with any of the above.

Chris Leonard's Jackanory spot:
It's back!  Hurrah!  Now who stole the poetry parrot?

Winona Ryder/The Replacements:
Winona Ryder specifically requested that the school in Heathers be
called Westerberg High after Paul of that ilk, head Replacement honcho.
There's another Replacements reference (a lyric quote) in Heathers too,
but I can't remember what it is.  I'll go home and watch it tonight and
try and find it, maybe.  Or else someone here will just tell me, as
you're all rather good at things like that.  Because I'm really going to
watch the James Bond film.

Lord Anthony:
Nothing at all to do with Brideshead Revisited as far as I know.  Lord
Anthony were manufacturers of every single anorak that the less well off
kids wore to school, and I believe those fabby parkas with the furry
hood trims.  Sort of synonymous with being a snottery-nosed little
not-in-with-the-cool-kids kind of kid in British schools in the
seventies and early eighties, a bit like the hero of said song.  At our
primary school you weren't allowed to do those snorkel-hooded parkas up
in a South Park stylee as it meant you couldn't see out the sides and
you would be likely to get hit by a car when croosing the road with your
vision somewhat hindered.

Jordi:
> On the other hand, I
> think that "Lord Anthony" is too much song just
> to be wasted for a b-side.

As is La Pastie, Beautiful, Slow Graffiti, Photo Jenny, String Bean Jean
etc etc.  I don't think of them as b-sides anyway.  Shall we start a
campaign for Belle and Sebastian to write some bad songs so they can
chuck them away on b-sides?  Can someone tell me where in a sentence you
are meant to put those wee ~ sarcasm thingies - there's meant to be one
in that last sentence there.  Or maybe a smiley will do instead :)

Scott 4 (OK, not a real thread, but they are playing at All Tomorrow's
Parties):
The artwork on the new album is done by Mr Murdoch.  Will the talents of
that family never end?

I'll spare you all the huge mental discourse I had prepared on how you
can just like something (art, music, book, TV show) for the simple
reason that it moves or affects you in some way without the need for
"real" validation.  I just like stuff.  It's really as simple as that.
I suspect Celine Dion fans feel the same way as that.  And if anyone
thinks that makes me less of a Belle and Sebastian fan, well fine.  I
don't think it does, and I've decided to start having the courage of my
own convictions about everything again so I firmly believe what I just
said there.  Some of that's because of some of you.  You know who you
are, big hugs to you all.

When we're done with Tim Hopkins, can we start a campaign to get Alix
Campbell back please?

Oh, I went to look for everyone's favourite sinister cutie-pie on the
movie database thingie, and the homepage on imdb.com is asking for
people to write in if they know the whereabouts of former child stars.
Who's going to do the honours then?  I was an extra in Restless Natives,
at the end where they are driving down the Mound in Edinburgh, I'm in
the crowd scene.  My best friend Neil was in Neighbours, he bought a can
of Coke off Henry Ramsay.  And my big brother was interviewed on
CountryFile (Sunday lunchtime farmer programme that nobody watches).
That's crap isn't it.  Sorry.  Oh, I did work with the father of the
bloke who gets turned into a fly in the Granton Star Cause (first part
of the Acid House) last summer.  See, everything all ties together once
again.  That soundtrack may have been responsible for introducing some
great Scottish bands to the wider world, but it also introduced them to
the Gyres.

Finally, Jan said:
> you don't know what you're doing. I've got bad breath... and I
> scatter my CDs all around the room.... you don't want to live with
> someone like me the rest of your life, hm?

Does anyone want to swap chalets with me for All Tomorrow's Parties
then?  Only joking, Jan, as long as you're joking too :)

Congratulations to everyone who made it this far.  You really *do* have
too much time on your hands :)

Ailsa xx

PS No-one's voted for me in the list crush votes for over a fortnight.
I think my fifteen minutes are well and truly up.