Sinister: slow graffiti, etc.

P68d6ern at xxx.com P68d6ern at xxx.com
Wed Jun 16 21:38:21 BST 1999

In a message dated 6/16/99 4:45:45 AM Mid-Atlantic Daylight Time,
ynoh at leland.Stanford.EDU writes:

<< Joseph, after watching The Dreamlife
 of Angels, I can tell you that the way the French say cool is cool, even
 for New Yorkers. (Joseph, do your friends say the Velvet Underground is
 cool? they should, right? it's simpleminded of me to compare a single
 chord to a simple chord progression, isn't it? some kinds of irony are
 beyond me.)

 Yes, they say VU is cool and why should they not? After all they were a New
Yawk band in the best (or worst) sense. The point I was trying to make is
that people tend to like or dislike something for arbitrary reasons--meaning
that my snobbish (although not all, I just had some annoying Kultur
conversations that week)--friends would not like The Velvet Underground if
they were from Ohio. I, on the other hand, would do not care where a band
comes from; it is the music that counts. One digression I find interesting: I
have noticed that the most snobbish of New Yorkers are those who move here
from other parts of the US; the locals are not nearly as bad.