Sinister: Hardy hey hey

Michael Lucey mlucey at xxx.edu
Thu Jun 17 01:40:36 BST 1999

Chris McQuain told us that:

	My fave Godards in order:

	1. My Life to Live
	2. Contempt
	3. Masculin/Feminin (for some reason, this strikes me as the most B&S-like,
	don't ask why just see the movie)
	4. Pierrot Le Fou
	5. Alphaville
	6. Breathless
	8. Two or Three Things I Know About Her

	...and I believe those are the ones I've seen. Please, everybody, write in
	with YOUR favorites (and I'm only half joking about that).

	I am currently working on a book about underappreciated '60s actresses,
	including Anna Karina (in most of the films above, married to Godard at the
	time), Liv Ullman, Bibi Andersson, Gena Rowlands, .......

What happened to film number 7?  Is M/F the most B&S only because Francoise
Hardy is in it?  There are a couple other cool, less well known Godard 60s
films that are worth a peek if you get a chance:  "La Chinoise" and "Le Gai
Savoir".  They're a lot of fun.   I think Jacques Demy's 60s musical films
are very B&S (whatever that means) -- "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" and "The
Young Girls of Rochefort" .  And it's not just that Michel Legrand music...

As for Gina Rowlands and hubbie John Cassavetes (who's films I always think
of alongside Godard's -- don't ask me why), I think they could have been in
the Bowlie film/video fest too.... "Minnie and Moskowitz"  "A Woman Under
the Influence" "Opening Night"  "LoveStreams".  Maybe when Lazy Line
Painter Jane grows a bit older she'll become Gina Rowlands in "A Woman
Under the Influence." (Though she'd have to learn a new accent....)

Bye now.