Sinister: can you still feel the butterflies?

Dan McKinney polystyreneman64 at xxx.com
Thu Jun 17 06:48:55 BST 1999

Hello, those of the sinister persuasion.

After not posting for about three months I've decided it's time to come out
of the woodworkings of this fine list and say something.  oh, first I feel I
should apologize about something.  a while back I had asked if anyone would
send me a tigermilk tape and/or some radio sessions for a radio show I was
doing on b&s.  however, due to hotmail's dysfunctions I have no clue if
anyone other than weejay gave me any offers.  and by the time I was able to
sort things out, it was too late, and I scrapped the b&s show idea.  there's
always next year, I suppose.

anyways, I will be making a week-long trip to London the first week of July.
  had somebody mentioned a sinister picnic being held that weekend?  how
exciting it would be to meet some of the people who brighten my day with
their witty, humorous, and occasionally thought-invoking posts!

does anybody else like jimmy eat world?  their new album, CLARITY, is great.
  dare I say it's the best record I've heard in a year.  beautiful vocal
harmonies, lyrics that ring universal truths (my favorite being "this is
what she says gets her through it:  'if I can't let myself be happy now,
then when?  if not now, when?'"), great instrumentation, etc...  at any
rate, I'd highly recommend it not only to emo fans but to pop fans at-large.

i've also been listening to teenage fanclub a lot lately.  somebody
mentioned a couple days ago that their interest in b&s has been waning due
to overplaying them.  with teenage fanclub for me, it's been much the
opposite.  for years I had underplayed them (for some reason I could never
get into them), but now bandwagonesque is constantly in my cd player.  such
a great, overlooked pop record.  and grand prix is great as well.  thirteen
also has its moments.

80's pop tidbit:  in recent days people have mentioned elvis costello, the
replacement, and the psychedelic furs.  i'd have to say my favorite pop band
of the 80's, aside from the smiths, is the Dream Academy.  I find this
somewhat disconcerting considering their hit single "Life in a Northern
Town" (which is apparently an ode to Nick Drake) was chosen as a track on
the "Pure Moods II" compilation.  they also had a song on the soundtrack to
Ferris Bueller's Day Off.  does anyone else remember or like this band?

well I know I had more to say but I've forgotten what it was so that's all
for now.

Peace, love, and legal narcotics from the locked drawer,
~Dan-O

p.s.:  oh yeah.  if any of you londoners would be kind enough to fill me in
as to where some good places are to shop for music in your city (i.e. used
stores, indie stores, wherever), please email me privately.  I would REALLY
appreciate it.  thanks!