Sinister: a little about NTSC and PAL videos

JJ johnj at xxx.com
Thu Jun 17 18:15:29 BST 1999

>NTSC vs PAL (ie american vs british video systems)
>A lot of new UK vcrs can playback (but not record) NTSC videos. If you don't
>have one of these (although I do know a certain Japanese electronics company
>that sells them...) if can get a friend with one you can copy the NTSC video
>to PAL. I assume the case is the same in the states (ie that newer VCRs will
>playback PAL), so that may be one cheap solution.

This doesn't actually work, for reasons far too boring to explain here.
Even if your
VCR plays NTSC tapes you can't just copy them to another PAL VCR...the one
you are recording on most likely will be unable to lock up on the NTSC signal,
and you'll hear it the tape whining as it tries to change speed...god I'm
boring aren't
I!! Anyway you'll still need to get it converted properly, or have some
kind of magic
device that takes 525 line NTSC video and converts it to 625 line PAL video.

Thank you for listening.

JJ
xx