Sinister: and songs to fall-out-of-love to

bUgleT bug at xxx.uk
Sat Jun 19 21:10:21 BST 1999

J. D. Salinger wrote:

>Here is my useful nugget of advice:=
> on
>those long dark evenings of the soul, DO NOT under any circumstance lis=
>ten
>to the following songs:
>

>Broken Heart - Spiritualized
>
>No Distance Left To Run - Blur
>
>Miss Misery - Elliott Smith
>
>Boy Done Wrong Again
>
>etc. (I thought of lots more last night, but now I am at work the creat=
>ive
>half of my brain has shut down, and I am running on the 3%* required to=
>
>perform my duties competently).
>
>Just don't do it.

no no no mr salinger..you've got it all wrong. yes, to listen to these
songs would *seem* to be a suicide wish/blatant act of wallowing in self
pity, yet it is important to listen to these songs after you have broken up
w/ yr beloved as it is part of the essential healing process thingymijig
[which doesn't sound as pretentious as it probably does..no really]. i
broke up w/ my 'other-half' type personage about a month ago..it was pretty
upsetting, and still is [especially as i made the stupid mistake of going
to see his band the other night, an activity i haven't done since the
billions of times i did it when we were together. it was not a good
idea..the lyrics to some of the songs were quite distressing ("i need you
all the time", and it's probably just as well that i'd already run out when
they played 'lucky strike', which used to get dedicated to me and my
cigarettes. ouch. anyway, where was i......]. but yeeees, that's the reason
these songs are written - spiritualized's broken heart' is an excellent
record to get all those irritating tears that keep leaking out unexpectedly
out of yr system in one big almighty sobbing session. other songs you
didn't include are:

*beth orton - 'i wish i never saw the sunshine' [before you all start i
*know* she didn't write it]
*blur - 'tender' [just for certain lines..]
.....and i'll give you some more later.
au revoir fr now, though..
*bug*

***the tiny zine on the net***