Sinister: ~cabaret punks - we salute you!

Youn Jong Noh ynoh at xxx.EDU
Mon Jun 21 06:20:54 BST 1999

Robin's syntax for sarcasm is best:  more economical than mine (2 symbols
as opposed to 3) but unambiguous.  I will adopt the further convention
that sentence-initial tilde has scope over the entire sentence.

Yesterday I went to watch my sister try on bridal gowns.  It was lots
of fun!  Now I know the origin of 'bustle' as a verb - the movement in a
certain part of a gown as the bride makes haste ... I get to do it cos I'm
gonna be the bridesmaid, do the bustle that is.  I get to wear a real
dress. It's gonna be a sheath - gunmetal grey satiny material with an
interesting foldover thing at the neckline, granted - not a very good
description.  There was  a depressing part, too - when my sister talked
about how much weight she wanted to lose in front of the girl who was
helping us who was so nice who was so obviously heavier than she.  The
girl was beautiful though, auburn hair and greenish grey eyes and a really
sweet demeanor and her eye makeup was expertly applied - I've never seen
anything like it - could be out of Seventeen - or even from the back of
the applicators - a perfect angle from the corner of the eye - grey
eyeshadow.

I watched Henry Fool today on video.  Hal Hartley has improved
tremendously as a director.  At university, I watched one of his films
(the one about the professor who has a brief affair with a student; Flirt
which is more recent is also better than this; find it intriguing that he
has a japanese girlfriend, partner, whatever - intriguing mostly cos he
has to order two caterers according to the credits) and it was all wrong -
a mistake - and though there were redeeming parts, i.e. the homeless woman
- some parts were just hard to take, i.e. when they break out in a song
and dance routine (someone complained about the Simpsons on the same
lines). But Henry Fool is great!  The film critics on the list - do they
take Hal Hartley seriously?

Read the beginning of Soft Touch at the bookstore but was distracted by
the accent and couldn't finish.  Didn't really want to.  I make the
mistake of equating Stuart with every male character (sometimes even
female) that he sings about.  And who can match his sensibility?