Sinister: Watson's High School for the Hard of Hearing

Tim Hopkins hopkinstim at xxx.com
Mon Jun 21 18:39:57 BST 1999

Doctor Watson wrote:

> however, the
> other, was a Hurrah! single which I bought since Tim > Hopkins and
the Duke
> reckon they're great, and I don't believe I've ever > heard them
before.
> However I can tell you here and now that it's
> rubbish, totally boring
> complete rubbish. Polytechnic of Pop? School of
> SHITE more like!

Well, there certainly are some dull Hurrah! singles out there. Watson,
if you had been listening in lessons instead of picking your nose and
eating it and staring out of the window, you would have learned that
the only Hurrah! singles worth buying are the first four, all of which
are unimpeachably brilliant genius pop music.

It therefore must be that you bought one of the others, Keith, because
I know you have impeccable taste in music. After all, you are a huge
fan of...err...ummm...oh yes, Belle and Sebastian. Nevertheless, it's
re-sits for you, boy.

'Tricky' Nicky Dastoor wrote:

> I don't think I would like Belle & Sebastian so much > if they looked
rubbish.
> Does anyone else agree?

Well, you know, I flatter myself that I am above such things but the
truth is that if they looked one of a few particular *sorts* of
rubbish, I would probably be unsettled. If they were all bearded,
chunky-aran
sweater-wearing-finger-in-ear-oi-that's-my-pewter-tankard-pint-of-yer-Famous-Old-Scroggins-Foaming-Rat's-Tattywater-landlord
anal folkie bastards, it might throw a different light on their folk
influence. If they were all leather jackets and Classic Rock poses, I
might not be so relaxed about them covering Who songs (albeit one of
the two Who songs I used to be able to tolerate until my recent
conversion to the cause). If they had some kind of carefully thought
through and expensively assembled 'look' (like The Proclaimers' colour
coded glasses), I'd be worried. I'm not sure why. Something to do with
self-delusion on my part, I think.

But I have to admit I feel very comfortable with them looking like a
bunch of herberts out for a swift half who wandered on stage by
accident. I like that.

Oh Nick, it seems that I am a very shallow person, too. Bloody wide,
though.

Cheerio

Tim