Sinister: Dylan...AGAIN!! :( :(

McQuain, Chris CMcQuain at xxx.org
Tue Jun 22 20:12:12 BST 1999

Lana should be forgiven for writing this (and also welcomed to the list with
hugs and smiles!):

>>Who, pray tell, is "Dylan in the movies"?  Did Bob Dylan make movies?  If
he
did, what were they?  And is this Bob at all or some other Dylan who was in
movies?  What other stars are named Dylan? Is it Matt Dillon, just spelled
wrong? <<

...because she is new and probably doesn't know that the Dylan thing's been
discussed before.

The story is: There is a famous documentary about Bob Dylan by director D.A.
Pennebaker called "Don't Look Back". So, if you don't look back, you're like
Dylan in the movies. It's terribly sweet and clever, and explaining it too
much can, like explaining a good joke too much, diminish the impact. But
everybody should have the facts, I think.

Also, yesterday somebody asked if any film critics on the list had an
opinion of Hal Hartley. I have had (he ever-so-modestly and
self-deprecatingly said) bits and pieces of my film criticism published,
locally, and my opinion on Hartley is that he's very intelligent, I thought
The Unbelievable Truth was okay, Henry Fool was quite good, but the Book of
Life starring featured member of my Idol Parade PJ Harvey was crap. Any
Hartley film will be more and more crap depending upon the degree of
smugness he lets in, which at times is unbearably high. His 'humor' is like
having a loud, foul person standing behind you nudging you and saying, "Get
it? Get it?". Intolerable. Hartley is good to the degree that he can be
serious and not let his Bazooka Joe humor invade his otherwise fine films.

Sunshine, lollipops, rainbows...

-Chris