Sinister: Star, star crazy.

Neil Dewhurst NeilD at xxx.uk
Thu Jun 24 15:25:05 BST 1999

I know this may hurt, but I have to say it anyway.  I went to see REM last
night, and seeing Mike "Elvis" Mills, Peter Rickenbacker and that tall thin
guy who's also in the band leap on stage like complete and utter f***ing
stars beat the hell out of any live moment I'd ever experienced.

Tindersticks the first time was magical, B&S the first time was, well, quite
sweet really, but this took the biscuit.  Just imagine if you'd spent 9
years listening to Belle & Sebastian, and you'd never had a chance to go and
see them, and then suddenly there they were on stage.  You have to imagine
as well that they were pure Rawk as opposed to shyly embarrased.  Now,
either I'm extremely shallow, or that would be a great moment.

I did see someone with a IYFS t-shirt on, so if you're out there, am I
right, or am I right?

Also, i saw one of those marvellous random music references that journalists
are so fond of in the Guardian a couple of weeks ago.  On the subject of the
boyband musical - surreally titled "Boyband" - the writer declared that good
music is good music whether its by a manufactured group or by Belle &
Sebastian.  Without wishing to infer facts that don't hold up, my
interpretation is that only songs written by manufactured bands or by Belle
& Sebastian are good.  Which is pretty damning, really.  Personally I think
that B&S are marketing hype and nothing else.  The band has been put
together so that all the personalities complement each other perfectly.
They claim to write their own songs, which is what all boy / girl / infant /
baby bands do.  Don't be fooled.  I happen to know for a fact that Prince
wrote "Ease your feet...", Paula Abdul had a hand in "Fox in the snow", and
that B*Witched originally wrote "Rollercoaster ride" (it's about
Chessington, you know).  Stuart Murdoch's real name is Alan Gettysburg, and
the vocals are all recorded by Milli Vannilli.  Pete Tong is being lined up
to produce the next album, provisionally titled "The Scrubbers guide to
Dundee".

Regards,

Neil
Xxx

"Happy he and he alone, he who can call today his own."