Sinister: I Love Love (and other ramblings, ramblings added)

Youn Jong Noh ynoh at xxx.EDU
Fri Jun 25 08:18:58 BST 1999

Why doesn't Lesley Jo leap to Isobel's defense?  Has her art student
become serious?  Do you think that these sorts of crushes (the Isobel one)
go away when someone real turns up?

Types are convenient.  At first, I thought they were just a nicer way of
saying "I don't like x", but they're more than that.  With types, everyone
has a chance to be loved and everyone sees differently.  Types are
GOOD. ( ... unless a person seems to have no objective basis for whether
or not someone is his/her type and we sadly return to the rule
	beauty <=> power (in both directions, mind you))

I thought Isobel's voice was not my type, but I like Harriet Wheeler's
voice, which I hope no one will mind my saying is of the same type, so
this explanation is no good.

No good transition either ...

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Mick McMick * Sandcastle Records wrote:

> 	Nothing against Stevie, but sometimes I wonder how the band would sound
> if the fellow from the Dog on Wheels session played guitar in the band
> now instead of Stevie. Other times I wonder what the band might sound
> like if Maurice Deebank played guitar, and those are probably the most
> pleasant imaginings of the band I have. I have also wondered what the
> band would sound like if they roughed up Stevie until he relented and
> always played like he does on "A Century of Fakers." That's quite nice
> as well.
> 	Not to say I don't like B&S as they are now, it's just that...
> sometimes I wonder what they would sound like if Stevie didn't play like
> Steve Cropper nearly all of the time.

I tried to listen for the difference but I don't know who Steve Cropper is
so I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  This may be obvious to the
majority of the people on the list, in which case I feel silly for
asking, but I thought other people might be in the same boat.  And this
sounds very interesting.

Do you mean you wonder what it would sound like if Stevie plucked instead
of strummmed (sorry I don't know (how to talk) about guitars or music),
like Maurice Deebank?  How does one play like Maurice Deebank or Arthur
Lee?  Is it because the fingering(?) is difficult?  Do they play only
higher strings?

A while back people were talking about whether or not you should listen to
music while you do other things.  I think that when an album is brand new,
it is best to listen to it in bed in the dark on a night when you are
not too tired, whether or not it's "bedtime" music.  This regimen is only
for people with a limited budget for CDs; otherwise not every purchase
may merit this attention.  Then there's a familiarization stage, when you
want to listen to it frequently so you do during things that don't require
much attention like folding laundry.  Then it's either back to stage 1 or
it becomes distraction music, listened to during things that require
even more attention.  But it may be reclassified.  There's a special
category for music that is good to listen to in the car, i.e. "Love" by
the Poster Children, which brings me to another rambling ... the rueful
lack of public transportation in California, esp. southern ... all the
missed opportunities for making eye contact with fellow human beings!
Oh, the point of this was that I actually feel worse when I'm doing other
things while listening to Felt, not cos I like them more but I guess cos
the music is more detailed.

Sorry I got carried away with the rambling ... Youn