Sinister: Zen And The Art of Guitar Playing

FourJacksAndAJill bkim0 at xxx.edu
Fri Jun 25 15:32:36 BST 1999

WARNING: GUITAR GEEK SPEAK AHEAD.

I think what Mick-cubed was trying to say Youn (btw that's my mom's name
as well...uh, anyways) is that Stevie Jackson tries to emulate Steve
Cropper who is the guitarist for Booker T. and the MG's...you know, the
instrumental combo from the '60s who not only played on most of the Stax
recordings (Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Sam & Dave, etc.) but had their
own hits like "Green Onions" which is a very popular tune to put in
commercials.

If you are an oldies listener like I am you can hear Sam--or Dave--say
"Play it, Steve!" in "Soul Man."  That's Steve Cropper.  Basically his
playing was a kind of funky rhythmic choppy half-chord, playing the top
three strings.  Obviously he did more than this (and that's what
separates him from most of the session guitar players in the '60s who
did that rhythmic choppy thing on the 2 and the 4 for every single song
imaginable...the intro to "Soul Man" is sublime, as is his work on "Dock
of the Bay") but that's the kind of style you can hear Stevie emulate,
esp. on "Dirty Dream No. 2."

I have no idea what Arthur Lee's playing is like.  Sadly I have not yet
been introduced to Love.  Soon, my pretties, soon.  But as for Maurice
Deebank...well, the man was a monster.  Classically trained and *very*
nimble-fingered.  Dare I say the Segovia of indiepop?  His style was
usually made up of very intricate fingered lines that require superhuman
ability to play ("The World Is As Soft As Lace" is jaw-dropping from a
compositional *and* technical standpoint).  I bow down to Steve Cropper
and Maurice Deebank.

I hope this has been somewhat helpful, though it's probably waaay more
than you wanted to know.

Ask me about my beatiful new acoustic guitar,

Xavier

BXK                             		M o t h e r ,   M a y
bkim0 at dept.english.upenn.edu     		    I   S l e e p
http://www.english.upenn.edu/~bkim0            W i t h   D a n g e r ?