Sinister: The eye of the beholder

McQuain, Chris CMcQuain at xxx.org
Fri Jun 25 17:58:05 BST 1999

Hello Sinisterines-

I got myself scolded by Sandcastle Records (in a VERY polite, friendly,
non-offensive way) who reminded me that Honey didn't want loquacious people
like me hogging the list. So I haven't posted in a while.

BUT-  this whole 'looks' thing is offensive and demeaning. I wouldn't want
to prevent any Sinisterine from expressing their honest opinion, but if that
opinion is that they would 'hate' the band if they weren't good-looking, the
person expressing it is revealing, at the very least, their own narrow,
shallow standard of 'beauty'. Although I don't happen to think any member of
B&S is ugly in the least (and make no secret of my crush on cuddly Stuart
M.), it wouldn't matter if they were- their MUSIC would still be beautiful.
I happen to be too nice to name names, but if I hated bands that had members
I found not attractive at all, I would hate both Arab Strap and Supergrass,
and I really like those bands, and also realize there are plenty of people
who DO find them attractive.

So, in answer to the question, I most certainly would like Belle & Sebastian
if they were ugly, as long as their music sounded the same. And everybody is
beautiful to somebody. I would be really, really ashamed to admit that I
only liked a band because of the way they looked. Perhaps the people who did
that were just being facetious...? I'd like to think so.

Also, and this is speaking as somebody who's never had the inclination to be
a skirt-chaser (and what the hell does 'Gay Xchange' mean, anyway? I've read
this phrase in several posts), I think that Isobel is beautiful and that
mean, nasty prom girl who slagged her hair is simply jealous. Her golden
locks are smiles and sunbeams.

-Two or Three Things I Know About Chris