Sinister: Re:images, for the last time

Justin Williams justin at xxx.com
Fri Jun 25 19:36:12 BST 1999

At 05:01 PM 6/25/99 +0100, Tom wrote:

>The point is though, that I am sure none of us really do want to judge
>people solely on appearance, but the bottom line is that if Belle and
>Sebastian looked like KISS, their appeal would somehow be altered rather
>dramatically (tho imagine.. how cool?!) It is comforting that this band of
>bods who look fairly normal and sing songs that seem rooted in the everyday
>not only exist out there for us to enjoy and identify with, but also - by
>anyone's standards - write damn fine songs that you can really get your
>teeth into on intellectual and musical levels as well as the emotional.

Sorry to post twice in one day, but I completely agree with what Tom is
saying however extreme the KISS example happens to be. Mr. Dastoor did
indeed start this thread (although I am sure he has long since moved on),
but I, like the few who have replied to this think that the people that
have agreed with Nick were probably more serious than he was so I just want
to make it clear I was not referring to him. The bottom line I was trying
to make, however unsuccessfully, was that the shallowness in question
doesn't necessarily have to be in relation to "gorgeous" people, but can
equally apply to those who with average looks who exclude those who look
different, more stereotypical or even more attractive. I understand that
this has probably gone too far already and with way too much seriousness,
but coming from an ex "prep" for a lack of a better word who used to hang
out in high school with everyone that didn't look like him...I'm
particularly sensitive to judgements coming from appearances. Anyways,
enough of this, I was just surprised to see such a topic come up on the B&S
list. Forgive any undue seriousness =P Bye bye all...

Justin W
Felonius Monk