Sinister: You go deeper than your beauty; you go well above and beyond -- the call of duty, in your country and your school, but i grew up too cool

allen ussher at xxx.ca
Sat Jun 26 00:01:10 BST 1999

Hiya :)

ooh, I've got lots to say about some of the threads going on, so let's get
started...

About liking B&S less if they were horribly ugly beasts with horns, hooves,
and pointed tails, and they didn't share their treats with you (or something
like that):  I thought about it a bit and I've come to the conclusion that
their looks really are inconsequential (yes, even if they all sported zz
top-like beards... yes, even the ladies). I remember not being entirely
bowled over when I first saw pictures of the group ("Oh, so that's what they
look like...um, yay.", "Al, that's not belle and sebastian, that's the cast
of three's company. THIS is what b&s look like" <hands me a photo> "oooh,
that's what they look like......um, yay"), but that's only because I had
this mental image of them all as being gods among men (and women (and
children (and, oh, let's not forget the elderly))). I think, in a way, I was
disappointed when I did see what they looked like because all the mystique
surrounding them was lost. It's like seeing someone you really fancy several
times but never really talking to him/her.  You sort of generate this
amazing personality in your head and then you finally talk to said party and
find out he/she is a total twat (not that B&S aren't lovely, of course)
and that you really want to kick his/her arse because he/she is really
she/he and.. ah nevermind...

about helter skelter being the first "true" hard rock song:  pfft, I
wouldn't know, but I did listen to the White Album again for the first time
after a long time and I was amazed at how good it was!  and to throw in some
Who content for all you Who fans out there, I remember reading that Paul
wrote Helter Skelter after reading that the Who had recorded the loudest,
raunchiest rock song ever. :P And of course, the song is about a slide, and
nothing more, so don't go out on a killing spree because of it!

finally, a couple of melodies "lifted" by b&s:

Dog On Wheels: the trumpet part (when it plays a bit o' harmony) sounds like
the hawaii five-o theme (it does, dammit!!! and if you disagree, I'll meet
you after school by the bike racks and we can have a -- um --
discussion...yeah)

A Century Of Fakers:  the sus chord riff at the end of some of the verses
sounds like it came straight from the byrds' version of mr. tambourine man
(it does, dammit!!!  if you dig up your byrds album -- whichever one it was
-- and listen to 'mr.  tambourine man' you shall see that the riff is
missing.  why, you ask?  because it's been stolen!!)

and finally,
A Century of Elvis:  the whole song sounds vaguely familiar, but the
narrative done by Stu D is mixed so loud that I can barely hear the backing
instrumentation.  this is a tough one and i've been devoting all my spare
time to figuring out which song this most closely resembles.  any help would
be appreciated!

that's all for now, i shall leave you all in peace.  all you people reading
these emails at work:  GET BACK TO WORK!!

p.s. a quick, shameless plug: pt.2 of my eliza comic strip is up:
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Chateau/9889/

Allen (ICQ: #35152981)
--
"Long afloat on shipless oceans