Sinister: reel around the mountain

Chris Butler pants at xxx.com
Sat Jun 26 16:25:49 BST 1999

with all the stories of heartbreak and despair out there,
i thought i'd tell one story that has a happy ending. :)

i can't tell you how elated i am.  it seems like it's been
since i was ten that i have been this happy.  my band,
the Rescuers (http://www.therescuers.net) played it's first
announced show (third overall) and it went very well...
(the first two shows were unannounced due to fear of screwing up).

i could ramble on indefinitely with details on the whole
hour-long eleven-song set, but i'll just give you a splash
of highlights.  we played at a laundramat/bar/cafe in san
francisco, ca to a small audience of maybe forty or fifty people.
the stage was an elevated step that our drummer had to turn
his kit sideways to play on.  actually, only the drummer really
fit on stage, we stood near the tables.  it was supposedly to be
a quiet show and couldn't disturb the neighbors, so we put our
lead guitarist's jacket over the bass drum and put my jacket
over our only amp to hide it.  our new bassist of three practices
(my brother pete) plugged into the same amp as our guitarist,
to keep down the volume too... we played all our own songs
(http://www.therescuers.net/html/n-songs.html - realaudio)
ending with our only cover, a peter murphy-esque cover of
'do you love me now?' by the breeders, a really fun one to
sing... (although we screwed it up a wee bit).

anyway, people really seemed to like us.  we sold all of our
CDs except for three, which utterly shocked me.  plus loads of
folks loved our free pins (http://www.therescuers.net/print/pin.jpg)
which our drummer adam designed.  it's such an amazing feeling
when people actually *want* to hear your music...  btw, if anyone
wants a pin, i'll send one to you if you send me an address.

well enough, i'm feeling a little giddy/punchdrunk from last night.
if i continue to gush publicly, i'll lose my reputation for being
a sarcastic, reclusive, unemployed, non-sequitor of a person. ;)

SeƱor Droolcup [ blushing from gushing ]

PS: i had a WEIRD occurrence involving bailbonds, slashed tires,
    and a shady purchase, but that's a story for another day.

the Rescuers - next gig on 6/25 fri, 9pm - brainwash
http://www.therescuers.net      help at therescuers.net
"3 out of 4 dentists recommend us to reduce plaque."