Sinister: sleater hurt my head kinney

McQuain, Chris CMcQuain at xxx.org
Sat Jun 26 20:17:12 BST 1999

Thank you so much to Jennifer Pulpbot for exactly encapsulating what I feel
about Sleater-Kinney. PJ Harvey, who I think is exceptional, is an Angry
Woman (also a Sad Woman and an Angry Man and a Hurt Man and a Psychotic
Woman, but I'll get on to my point..). Sleater-Kinney, while not PJ, are not
Alanis Morrissette, thank you. Sleater-Kinney grew out of the ashes of the
riot grrrrl movement, which, as opposed to the icky macho Seattle movement,
was strictly P!O!P! Fanzines, bellybuttons, magic markers and cheap shows
for the kids equals P!O!P! But Sleater-Kinney are a pop band with no agenda
but to make great music, which they do. It's catchy, fun, riotous without
being strident or political, lots of joyful noise.

Corin's voice has, yes, been described as being like Jello Biafra. Also like
Siouxie Sioux. Also like 'Belinda Carlisle crossed with Poly Styrene'. All
these people's voices annoyed people, yet I'll bet almost every one of you
think at least one of them is great. I think they're all super 'cept Biafra.

Okay no more posts for a while. There are people on this list who will worry
themselves and me if I post too much. Is there REALLY such a thing, or do
some people just not like hearing from me? There are people who post much
more frequently than myself, though not in such a short time frame
perhaps......? All this anxiety caused by precisely one private e-mail I
received from a Sinisterine asking me nicely (and I'm not being facetious,
it was REALLY nice, not aggressive or rude) not to post so much. But I
thought that was unwarranted, I don't post every day so it's okay to do it
several times over a weekend, is it not?

-Two or Three Things I Know About Chris