Sinister: girls with guitars and hairy arms........sexy!

Lesley J Miller rebelstrange at xxx.net
Mon Jun 28 07:01:59 BST 1999

Genevevie:
>The reason Angry-Woman singers make me cringe is beacuse they perpetuate
(is
that the right word) their own stereotype, the whole Lilith Fair `I don`t
shave my armpits therefore I am Woman` thing going on. It makes the good
angry women to be lumped in with them. I prefer male voices anyways, I
dunno..i just do..we all have our preferences you know.I like a nice female

now you bring up preference, i'll admit i *generally* prefer female voices,
i think they sound prettier most of the time, i tend to be more picky about
the sound of a male voice for some reason, which doesn't mean i dont' like
any of them.   just that if you took my musick collection and percented it,
there would probably be more women voices in there.

>that the right word) their own stereotype, the whole Lilith Fair `I don`t
>shave my armpits therefore I am Woman` thing going on. It makes the good
>angry women to be lumped in with them
there is so much wrong with this statement i don't know where to start.
perpetuating your own stereotype is an entirely different thing than being
generalized against their will.  Lilith Fair is decidedly *not* the epitomy
of Womanhood, it's a stereotype in itself, what with the Jewels and what
not, i think that's a kind of poor comparison to "angry" women in music.  If
i were truly angry and wanted to cause a fuss, i would definitely steer
clear of the whiny mentality of lilith fair, "we're girly and some of us
dont' shave our legs, but most of us are backed up by all-male bands anyway
but let's all dance and sing about feminine hygiene".   that's a joke.

 AND let me vent a little bit.  it really irks me when people have the
impression that the only thing qualifying you as a "woman" or "feminist" is
not to shave your armpits.   or that if you like to wear dresses or
something, you can't be a "real" woman.  the whole point of the feminist
movement was so that women could CHOOSE the way they want to be, and men
too, so anyone who wants to can wear a dress, or choose not to shave their
legs or whatever.     i just don't understand why people can't get over it
already know what i mean?   i'm coming from the standpoint of recognizing
women have been locked into stereotypes for centuries (and thus men as well
have been prisoners of gender roles) but i don't go around trying to tell
anyone how to dress or act.   maybe sometimes i am not absolutely prompt
about shaving my legs, but i also like wearing dresses, and lacy lingerie,
and metallic green lipstick and carrying hello kitty bags.  does that make
me a sell-out??   i dont' think so.   if any feminist type woman told me so,
i'd tell them to fuck off, cos it's my choice.  things like that are so
shallow and inconsequential.     Just cos a few women are out there not
shaving their armpits doesn't mean they are forcing you to do so.  but i
think it's nice we have the freedom to act the way we want these days.

 I jsut don't understand why anyone would get all up in arms about "angry
women" anyway.  if you dont' like the music, just say so.   no need to be
trivializing about a massive group of (totally unrelated, btw) musical
performers in an imaginary category.    And yes.   sorry for going out on a
limb, and genevieve you know i love you :o)    I just tend ot have really
strong opinions, which makes me a loud angry WOMAN!!!!  woo-hoo.

the very fact that we would think to say Angry Women, just tells us we have
a little ways to go before the social playing field is totally wiped clean.
isn't it ironic? dont'cha think?

Another puzzling conundrum:  bel-bashing!!  wherefore, and why??  who could
be more innocuous, sweet and harmony-inducing??  not exactly the type to
cause raging riots of bloody hatred.  i just dinna underrrstaahhndit.
those must be the same type of ppl who kick over little kids sand castles on
teh beach, jsut to be nasty!!! cos their days of innocence are gone.
*sigh*

i never went to prom.  i didnt have a date.  but i would totally go to prom
with artgirl if it were possible.  after all, i have just now learnt the art
of slowdancing and moving cheek to cheek with your beloved in quivery
disco-ball fever, your hands slick with sweat and tentatively moving closer
closer.......it would be easy to add the ruffle of organdy and taffeta to
that image, and mayb ea bunch of frat boys drunk on spiked punch, drooling
over the hormone-inducing spectacle of me and my beloved.  but i'm getting
away from myself now.  Prom would only be nice if you had someone special to
go with.  as a ritual, a legislated passage in which you spend much much
money on a bad dress and then go get totally bored to death while preppies
and jocks feel each other up to a Boyz2 Men song, i would say it's highly
over rated, and that's why i chose not to go, i had not found a beloved yet.
and i dont' regret not going. it would have meant nothing to me.   maybe it
would have seemed more exciting if there was a girl/girl prom, but there
wasn't. which is why i'm glad i'm older now, and i can dance with girls if i
choose to.   THAT's what women's lib was all about, my friends, my glorious
friends.   i pity the fool what don't understand THAT.

i think i remember a time when amanda artgirl hadn't shaved under her arms.
at least i'd like to think so.  i find that sexy for some reason.  i guess
i'm just a nature kind of girl.   *ummm...shiver*   like isobel's sweat
stains.  tres sexy, no?  okay, just me.   sorry, i'm grossing everybody out
now.  *goes back to her dank little cave*

(ah blimey, i just realized how freudian that was....)

hello kitty is very girly, but i like her a lot.  i just dont' like her
teddy bear.  i REFUSE to buy a hello kitty item that has the teddy bear on
it. the rabbit is fine, the birds are great, but no fucking teddy bears!!!
okay!!!!   Badtz maru is just the best.  the colors......the sanrio design
ethic fascinates me.  i just love it.  i dont' like some of the keroppi
design, but badtz-maru is ALWAYS looking fab.  i also like the angel hello
kitty!!!  oui oui!!!   there should be sanrio versions of b/s.  oh a little
hello isobel!!!!  and Beanz-Maru!!!!   Kerokerostuartmurdoch!!!!!!

Allen, your Liza is looking dreamy as usual......*swoon*

i have to go take my medication now. sorry for posting so much this weekend,
i'll refrain for a while.
let's have a groovy time,
LJ

http://www.members.tripod.com/rebelstrange
they were like those gauche youths who turn up  to house  parties only to
cling to the dark corners  in chaste disdain, driven by the naive, vaguely
inhuman conviction that all merriment is a lie.
SAVE MST3K!!!!
http://www.mst3kinfo.com