Sinister: Proof that I have too much free time

McQuain, Chris CMcQuain at xxx.org
Tue Jun 29 16:41:18 BST 1999

While I think it is unfair to both bands to compare Belle & Sebastian to the
Smiths, I must reply to the message below. THIS WILL NOT STAND! Morrissey
said it himself: "Don't forget the songs that made you cry/And the songs
that saved your life". It's easy to dismiss Morrissey as 'narcissistic'
without acknowledging that any time a performer gets on a stage without a
paper bag on his/her head, in one way or another they're asking that the
spotlight be put on them. This is what P!O!P! is, if you're not going to
accept that all pop is a cult of personality (besides faceless mechanical
techno drivel) then I don't understand why you would take part in the very
cult of personality that the Sinister list is. It's a double standard that
completely undermines Joseph's argument. The Smiths got their start on an
indie label, were staunchly anti-Thatcher, and are held up today by most as
a shining example of an '80s band who did NOT personify their time. Billy
Bragg, Mr. Red Wedge himself, was on TV a month ago singing the praises of
the Smiths' politically conscious songs, and wishing they were still making
new ones.

I think that Joseph displays an attitude that is, ironically, much more
1980s than anything you could ever pin on the Smiths. This attitude seems to
say that now that the novelty is gone, now that you're no longer a
16-year-old whose very existence is being validated by The Smiths, you can
just toss them aside, they're of no use any more, forget about them. In
reality, The Smiths were a perfect pop band, I would personally say the best
ever, with beautiful music, sadness AND humor, and all of it was so full of
hope for kindness and love in the world; any cynicism or spite in the music
comes directly from the disappointment of that hope. As I've grown older,
I've found nothing but more layers and depth to The Smiths' music.
Pigeon-holing it as narcissistic and sad is just lazy, it's jumping on a
bandwagon and not thinking for yourself, because any real listen to the
Smiths music reveals a range that encompasses pure misery, pure joy, and
anything in between. I remember a couple years ago when Luke Haines of the
Auteurs/Black Box Recorder dismissed Morrissey, saying 'I don't really care
about this man any more'. Now, I LOVE Luke Haines, think he's a genius
(everybody go buy the new Auteurs single "The Rubettes" right now!), but
when he said that he was revealing an embarrassing anxiety of influence. I
refuse to believe that the Auteurs could be what they are without The Smiths
being there first, and if The Smiths weren't spinning 'round on Stuart M's
turntable, we may have had Belle & Sebastian, but I bet they'd sound a hell
of a lot different without that influence.

We all know Belle & Sebastian still love The Smiths, even covered 'Reel
Around the Fountain', and I would assume most of us on the list wouldn't be
so quick to discard them as Joseph is. I fully credit Morrissey for any
interest I've ever had in pop music- he was one of the few public
personalities who ever seemed really passionate about it, regardless of his
sometimes narrow taste. He made it okay to find comfort in your record
collection, when people have let you down. This may seem like narcissism or
selfishness to some, but in so many ways it really did save my life.

I hope I'm not the only one who jumps to the defense of this band. Though I
certainly think Joseph has a right to his opinion, I think his arguments are
completely baseless, to the point of being merely antagonistic. It worked.

-Chris