Sinister: Re: smiths defense

Justin Williams justin at xxx.com
Tue Jun 29 17:41:28 BST 1999

Good day lovely ones,

I of course would never hesitate to defend the smiths, but for the most
part not only did Chris do a mighty fine job himself, I think that they
really defend themselves. To Joseph, I am sure his opinions are valid and
substantiated and to others like him too so it is really hard to say that
one opinion is right and the other wrong. All I can really say is that of
course Morrissey sings about himself because is that is who he knows best.
I think the one of the values of the smiths, at least for me, was the fact
that I could relate to the lyrics. And the fact that the lyrics were put
forth genuinely and so personally I find them that much more satisfying. If
he were to try to speak for a generation of popsters instead of letting his
own viewpoints draw the generation to him I think it would be all too obvious.

One last thing before I get back to work, Joseph mentioned that B&S and
smiths songs have had their fair share of sadness, but B&S seems to find
comfort in them....I personally found an immeasurable amount of comfort in
almost every "sad" smiths song so I can't really agree with him there.

I don't want this to be an attack on Joseph at all, so I hope it is all
taken in stride. When I first read his post, yeah, I immediately disagreed
with him, but that alone is not enough to challenge the validity of his
thoughts. One thing that I thought about that may or may not have made a
difference, I am 22 and I think Chris is 23, so considering Joseph was at a
more mature age during the smiths peak he may have had a different
perspective on the scene. This is also easy for me to say since I wasn't
the first to come to the smiths' defense, but anyhow take care everyone...

Justin W
Felonius Monk