Sinister: and if you can stand, I would like to take you by the hand

Graham MacArthur macarthur at xxx.com
Tue Jun 29 19:39:36 BST 1999

Dear sinisterines,

You've been talking a bit about sleater kinney and hairy armpits of late,
which reminded me of something which has been on my mind in the last, say,
six months or so. I've wanted to start a band, but havent found any female
bands, apart from the now gone Kenikie, to influence me. Sleater Kinney are
too abrasive for weak middle class souls like me (although I still like
listening to them, I couldn't attempt to sound like them) Velocette a bit
too wishy washy (apart from 'get yourself together' which is popmagic).
People curse me for saying "I want to be in a band so I can be famous" but
lots of special people wanted fame more than a journey of musical
discovery. I know Belle and Sebastian wanted nothing less than their body
on the cover of the NME, but I want lots of money and matching poodles, and
I'm not ashamed of that. It would be fabulously trashy, and theres a bit of
you that wants it too.

I love the magic and superficial things, infact I wish to be more shallow,
so that life would become more simple. It's grim up north, you know. We
travelled in silver rolls royces at 30mph on roads looking over the
yorkshire hillside, shining against all the greyness.

Everyone near london should come to the picnic at the weekend. Infact I
insist you come, for I'll be baking things (the things are not babies, by
the way, but cakes). Tres bizare..

Erica