Sinister: The Electronic Return of the Sequels

Mick McMick * Sandcastle Records bp224996 at xxx.edu
Mon Mar 1 06:08:49 GMT 1999

Hm...
	Well, well, well, look what the cat dragged in. If it isn't our old
friend Sinister. Where have you been all night mister? You're going to
get it! Just wait until your father gets home! Spoil the Rod and Spare
the Child I always say...no wait...somehow that seems incorrect. Oh
well, it's probably just my mind playing tricks on me.
        Hm, in the wake of my Dune hyseria this weekend I tried to
change my quote on my sig, but I think I forgot to save it, because
there's Mr. Friendly down there, still smiling and wishing. Oh well, no
matter. I must admit to being somehow surprised when I checked my
electronic mailbox from afar. Small pixels reported to me that I had
amassed 40 electronic letters in my electronic mailbox. They were all
electronically waiting for me to open them up (electronically, of
course) though I had to leave a couple of them for later. I must say,
there were some very interesting and noteworthy electronic letters,
words, sentences and paragraphs, such as...

> i've decided that "electronic renaissance" gets
> PrOPs! from me -- the petshopboys-esque-ness of it is simply lovely.

which was composed electronically by Marie Elia. Evidently Miss (or
potentially Mrs.) Elia is a paragon of taste, as such a comment is rare
and wonderful. Perhaps the very endangered nature of such comments
accounts for the low showing for said brilliant song in the official
electronic voting booth. Evidently not enough people are electronically
casting a good vote for such a wonderful song. Well, they say that if
you sleep with dogs, you'll wake up with fleas. Not that the previous
statement has anything to do with Electronic Renaissance, but it is
still quite true that people say it.

	And who can forget when Dave electronically requested that we all
electronically submit 5 songs which encompass the width and breadth of
the Belle and Sebastian Experience (TM). Surely, Dave, you couldn't just
place 5 Electronic Renaissances, all in tandem? Five little ages of
bleeping enlightenment, heightened by just a smidgen of synth. Probably
not, so in the event that you wouldn't wish to, I will electronically
suggest:

"Seeing Other People,"
"(The) Boy with the Arab Strap"
"Belle & Sebastian"
"Expectations"
(&) "Slow Graffitti"

	On a totally different matter, any and all who might or might not be
curious as to whether or not one Robert Wratten is a fan, or alternately
despises our Glaswegian heroes, can find the answer to this burning
question (and many more) in the next and forthcoming issue of Movers and
Shakers. Therein, the aforementioned Mr. Wratten, who has played in
bands with names like the Field Mice, Trembling Blue Stars, and the
Yesterday Sky, will spill the proverbial beans on his feelings about
B&S, as well as beans of other subjects.
	A cool breeze blew across your flaxen hair as Brandt electronically
proclaimed:

> I think this is relevant due to the fact that Belle and Sebastian is
> releasing a fourth album in four years as well as two side projects.  > How much is too much?  Is a new album, a re-release, an ep and two
> side projects too self indulgent or just productive?  Is a double
> album self indulgent?

	My electronic reply to the aptly named Mr. Fundak is that perhaps the
point at which something becomes self-indulgent is when demand for it
ceases. For example, if there was a limit to the number of songs one
could release, where would that leave Stereolab? Most likely in France
or England, but why, then, are they able to sell so many limited edition
singles and EPs and singles comps and albums and things like that?
Wasn't it once Stereolab who once said "Dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby,"?
I think it was. I am a fervent believer that More is Better, and that if
people do not desire such a tremendous amount of material, they are not
forced to buy it, whereas those of us who lick our lips at the mention
of outtakes and 4-song EPs, we can just go on being happy, which is what
I am going to do, until I remember that I have all sorts of work that I
am putting off, and then I will stop being happy for a time, and then
pick it up again sometime thereafter. I'm hoping it is similar to riding
a bike. I also hope that I am better at being happy (for a time) than I
am at not writing run-on sentences.
	In closing, I would just like to mention that this post shatters the
record previously held for the post with the most instances of the words
"electronic," and "electronically."

 /"\_/"\_/"\  Mick McMick/Sandcastle Records <<->> bp224996 at ohiou.edu
 \         /  Sandcastle Records Homepage:                ICQ#5056758