Sinister: A lesson from the Bible

Mrs Murdoch mrsmurdoch at xxx.com
Wed Mar 3 12:42:55 GMT 1999

Hello, it's Mrs. Murdoch here, Stuart's mum.

It's been an unusual couple of weeks for us here in the Murdoch
household.  There was a picture of Stuart in the Troon herald last week,
and lots of people have been phoning me up to congratulate me on my Brit
Award winning eggs.  I say it's not my doing at all, we just happen to
have a Brit Award winning postman.  I feel like I'm a bit of a celebrity
myself, and spend an hour doing my hair and make up before heading down
to the Co-op for Stuart's fish cakes.

This week I've been reminded of the Bible parable, Hamish the Frog.  I
have typed it below, and hope you all read it carefully.

Love,
 Mrs. Murdoch

Hamish the Frog
================

Once upon a time there was a little frog called Hamish.  Hamish was the
pond hero because he could leap higher and further than all of the other
frogs put together!  In fact, he could even leap the whole pond in one
single bound!

One day a Kingfisher spotted Hamish leaping the pond and was astounded!
"Gosh", he thought, "that's the most incredible sight I've ever seen!  I
know a lot of people that would like to see this.  I wonder if Hamish
would make a deal with me, that If I get lots of people to come and see
him leap, we could charge them a pound each and split the money".   The
Kingfisher suggested the idea to Hamish.  Hamish agreed, because he was
skint, and didn't have anything better to do.

The Kingfisher worked hard and gathered a huge crowd to see Hamish leap.
The crowd were astounded, and happy to pay the pound charge.  One member
in the crowd, a little goldfish, had a great idea.  "Kingfisher, Hamish
is an amazing leaper to be sure.  But it would be better if he had a
wonderful obstacle to leap over, wouldn't it?".  The Kingfisher agreed,
so the little goldfish worked for three months solid making the bestest
most lovliest obstacle any frog has ever leapt over . And the goldfish
did it for nothing, because she wanted to, because she thought Hamish
the frog was brilliant.

The Kingfisher arranged another show, advertising the fact that Hamish
was going to leap over the amazing obstacle the little goldfish had
constructed.  This time the Kingfisher decided to charge everybody two
pounds.  The crowd loved this show, and word spread of Hamish and the
incredible obstacle all over the whole country.   The next time that
Hamish leapt over the obstacle the Kingfisher charged three pounds.
And so on and so on until the Kingfisher was charging a ten pound
spectator fee. And people paid it, because it was worth it.   The little
goldfish still paid her ten pounds like everyone else, even though it
was her obstacle that was helping draw the crowds in.  The goldfish did
it because she wanted to, because she thought Hamish the frog was
brilliant.  And she was making a lot of friends as they went along, as
was Hamish.

One happy day Hamish won the Frog of the Year award for his leaping
power.  This meant that everyone in the world had heard of Hamish, and
wanted to see him leaping over the obstacle.   Some of the other frogs
in the competition were jealous though, and said that Hamish only won
because the obstacle was so grand.  Which was partly true, but the award
and the potential earnings that the Kingfisher could make blinded him to
the fact.   "Of course the obstacle had nothing to do with Hamish's
success in the Frog of the Year competition", he said in a press
release, "Hamish won because he is great".   To prove the point that the
obstacle had nothing to do with it, the Kingfisher put the little
goldfishes obstacle in the bin, and made one himself.  This upset the
little goldfish very much, because he loved to see Hamish leap over it.
And the sad fact is, the Kingfisher's obstacle wasn't as good as the
little goldfishes.   The people who had seen Hamish leaping over the old
obstacle said to the Kingfisher,  "Kingfisher, why don't you bring the
goldfishes obstacle back and bin the new one, it's very nice but just
not as good."  Even Hamish asked the Kingfisher if he could leap over
the old obstacle again.   The Kingfisher didn't hear them though because
new people were coming to see Hamish leap, who had never seen the old
obstacle to know any better.  He told the goldfish "you never made a
difference to Hamish's success.  Why don't you just get lost and stop
annoying me".  The Kingfisher was now charging people 20 pounds to see
Hamish leap.

And then a sad thing happened.   As Hamish had become more and more
successful the goldfish had been there.  All the people who had become
friends with Hamish had also become friends with the goldfish.  They
decided they wouldn't go and see Hamish leap anymore because they didn't
want to pay the greedy Kingfisher money.  Which was sad because it meant
that Hamish didn't see any of his old friends who had supported him as
his popularity grew.  He began to feel lonely.

Eventually Hamish got sick of leaping over the shoddy obstacle.
"Kingfisher", he said ,"I've had enough.  I won't leap over that shoddy
obstacle for you anymore.  You've taken the fun out of my leaping, and
none of my old friends are here, so I'm off".  But the Kingfisher didn't
care anyway because he'd made a lot of money.  "I never needed you
anyway", he told Hamish.

Hamish went back to leaping over the pond like he used to do, and lived
happily ever after amongst his friends.  No-one really cares what
happened to the Kingfisher.