Sinister: Brian "Mick" Pennington: Field Mice Obsessive, Cartoon Compulsive

Mick McMick * Sandcastle Records bp224996 at xxx.edu
Fri Mar 5 04:52:45 GMT 1999

Greetings...
	I heard the most disturbing thing earlier this evening. I was stopped
at an e-mail terminal to see if I'd gotten anything particularly
interesting, and there was a tape deck playing. The song playing sounded
somehow familiar, only the singer sounded like Marilyn Manson, and I
don't believe I know any song they've done other than that Eurhythmics
cover. I realized, then, that it was New Order's "Blue Monday," only
they replaced the synths with awful teen angstariffic guitars, and that
singer, be he Marilyn Manson or be he someone else. I hope it's not him
that did the cover, that's just plain wrong.

Jordi (who is not a bebe) asked:
> Finally, does anyone know a website where you can find the Field  > Mice?s  lyrics ?

	Hm, let me check something first...yes, memory served me well. There is
only (to my knowledge) one Field Mice page up on the net. And it is
certainly comprehensive enough to do without any more. It's also been
revampd into a lovely tasteful scrummy resource for all your Field Mice
needs. The page of which I speak is
<http://www.maths.monash.edu.au/~rjh/fm/>, and it is run by Andy Dean,
who is on the list I think. He used to do a B&S page too, long long ago.
Anyhow, the website used to have lyrics, but apparently he was politely
asked to remove them. Luckily there was advance warning of this, and so
I greedily snatched all of the lyrics up onto my clipboard and
electronically pasted them onto a Word file, which I have saved. So
Jordi, if you would like it, please e-mail me and I'll send it your way.
There was, for a time, another site, but I think all it even consisted
of was an interview with Robert Wratten, or actually I think there were
two interviews with him. Anyway, it's been gone quite some time now.
Also, Jordi, I have a collection of Robert Wratten farting into a
microphone, at several different pitches, so let me know if you'll want
those too, they're a hot commodity on Sha-La-La. Even more than my tapes
of Stuart Murdoch clearing his throat in the morning. My favorite is the
one where he coughs a couple times.

Dan Cohen says:
> Yes. It was along the same lines as David the Gnome and The Little
> Prince...loads of blatant anthropomorphism and odd overseas
> animation...these were the "glory days" of nickelodeon, from maybe
> 1986-1988...long before commercialization and Nickelodeon rap albums
> and low-budget Hollywood movies.

	Ahh, cartoons, one of my many loves. I too watched B&S the cartoon,
though I didn't think it necessary to pipe in only to mention that fact.
However, the mention of the "glory days" of Nickelodeon inspired me.
Anyway, I'm not so sure that David the Gnome wasn't American, and it
certainly came much later than Belle & Sebastian, as well as other
favorites of Nickelodeon's heyday, such as the Little Prince, the Lost
Cities of Gold, and (my personal fave) Sparticus (not about Romans at
all). I think all these old movie channels and Nick at Nite and whatnot
are all crap, and they should have a network that just shows old
cartoons.
	I know what you're thinking! "You dummy, there's already Cartoon
Network," but when I say old cartoons, I mean good old cartoons, not the
Flinstones or Loony Tunes or anything owned by Ted Turner (except Space
Ghost, it can stay). There is a wealth of old cartoons that some of us
haven't seen 8 million times, and I think it's a shame that there's no
way to see them. But then again, I'm weird.
	But, I cannot leave before making a stab at defending Nickelodeon. They
may have sold out, or maybe we just got old. They still have some good
stuff though, just try Rocko's Modern Life, and they're always showing
old Peanuts TV shows when I'm eating breakfast.

	Hm, and while I'm on a creative binge, I think one of us ought to join
the Jeepster list and spy on them. They can provide weekly updates, sort
of like "America's Funniest Home Videos," only it would be e-mails, and
not toddlers whacking their dads in the mahoneys with golf clubs
("accidentally"). Oh, and most importantly, it would in no way involve
Bob Saget (I hope).

 /"\_/"\_/"\  Mick McMick/Sandcastle Records <<->> bp224996 at ohiou.edu
 \         /  Sandcastle Records Homepage:                ICQ#5056758