Sinister: Dusty, r.i.p.

FourJacksAndAJill bkim0 at xxx.edu
Fri Mar 5 19:29:10 GMT 1999

Sorry if this has been mentioned...though I tried to look at the subject
headings for recent messages and didn't see anything too obvious.  Anyway,
I just wanted to take a moment and say that Dusty Springfield will be
missed--an amazing voice put to some of the best songs this last half of
the century has known, from "I Only Want To Be With You" right on up
through "What Have I Done To Deserve This?".  I'll be watching the Rock
and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions to see what they do with her--maybe
Aretha will sing something in tribute.  Apparently she declined to record
"Son of a Preacher Man" after hearing Dusty's version.  Don't know if
she's recorded it since but I'm sure she's performed it.  Anyway.  Respect
for the great White Negress, who died too young at 59.

Fun fact: one of the co-writers of "I Only Want To Be With You" is the
father of Simon Raymonde of the Cocteau Twins.

Xavier
--
BXK                             		M o t h e r ,   M a y
bkim0 at dept.english.upenn.edu     		    I   S l e e p