Sinister: amateurs

**Megan Lehar** mkl206 at xxx.edu
Sat Mar 6 19:23:58 GMT 1999

i just got back from a screening of amateur, the 1994 hal hartley film.  if
we're talking about cartoons for the billionth time (mind you, i watched
the b&s cartoon as a child and loved it, and know nobody did it on purpose,
but this is at least the third time it's been a thread) then we can mention
hal hartley.  it's so beautiful.  i wanted to cry at the end, but i was too
sad.  i ended up walking home in a daze, which was partially aided by the
fact that one of my contacts had fallen out earlier so one eye was blurred
anyway.  so basically, my advice is to see this movie.  kind of the film
equivalent to belle and sebastian songs, in my opinion.  his latest film
was shot on digital video for french tv and is called the book of life.
p.j. harvey plays mary magdalene and yo la tengo play something too.  not
sure what.  and how can you resist a film with roles like mormon thug #1? i
haven' tseen it yet though, there was a screening on tuesday but it was all
sold out so i cried a lot, oh wait, no i didn't.  i just sat home and
watched felicity.  m'i bad.

anyway, i also found out some belle and sebastian related information, more
related then my other tenuous connections anyway.  acid house, the film
which featured b&s on the soundtrack, will be premiering in new york on
march 10 at the anthology film archive.  it's opening night of the ny
underground film festival, so it will probably sell out.

 all right, that's pretty much all i know.  not much going on in the music
front that i know of these days, all the cool stuff seems to be happening
in the uk, which is sadly distant from me.  but oh well, i have my movies
to escape into (and it's hard to feel too sorry for yourself when you live
in the city ;).

 xoxo
 megan

mkl206 at is8.nyu.edu

visit the NEWLY UPDATEDmagnetic fields web page at:
http://www.dissemination.com/megan/magneticfields/