Sinister: and the award for best Latino gardener goes to

Pulpbot at xxx.com Pulpbot at xxx.com
Mon Mar 8 04:17:38 GMT 1999

Well I'm not so displeased that my local ABC opted to show the new "Dukes of
Hazard" revamp starring Scott Baio and Chris Cornell as the boys and Jarvis
Cocker as Boss Hog instead of the Brits as the edited highlights were
apparently about as valuable as the Euro.
Whoever recommended reading "Ask the Dust" is my new best friend. Such a sadly
unknown writer! Oh, and I love Frederick Exley's "A Fan's Notes." One of the
best books about failure.
And since I missed the brief Oscar discussion last week or so as my computer
was throwing up meanness, I'd like to give my own predictions for this, my
absolute favorite television-related night of the year: Okay, you're a dick if
you don't like the Thin Red Line and don't want it to win. Velvet Goldmine and
Rushmore shoulda both been nominated for everything. Judi Dench and Kathy
Bates are acid queens. My boyfriend Ralph Fiennes isn't nominated for
anything, which automatically makes it a sad, bad year. Pleasantville is
underrated, if only for the amazing scene when the tree bursts into flames the
first time Joan Allen comes (feminist moment of this sorry year when Gwynny
Paltrow and Cate Blanchett both get dissed by a lesser Fiennes). Ed Harris'
character is called, um, Christof? Oh, hi, lame metaphor from ninth-grade
English. Next. I'd like to see Affliction very much. Saving Private Ryan. Oy
Christ. You could light L.A. with the glint from Spielberg's halo. I saw "Life
is Beautiful" today. What a weird, creepy movie. What was the pitch? 'It's
about the Holocaust, except, um, more uplifting.'
There is just so much to worship about the Oscars. The glam! The glittering
drunks! Anorexics bloated on air kisses! Versace track marks! The golden
calves giving it up for God! If Billy Crystal falls in a forest, does Whoopi
Goldberg make an ad-lib? I won a bottle of champage an Oscar bash last year
for picking the most winners, though, sniff, now I'm being reminded that I
haven't drunk it because I have no one to drink it with.
Us list-dwellers may fear B&S capsizing under the weight of impending bigness,
but the true terror, I tell you, is some Hollywood hotsie nabbing Stuart
Murdoch, a la, Winona Ryder and Dave Pirner. If we don't want to see him
dangling like a erudite poodle out of a Prada handbag we'd best be vigilant.