Sinister: Queer as folk-rock

Michael Jones tourajsig2 at xxx.com
Wed Mar 10 16:05:15 GMT 1999

Hey chipmunkz,

It's been a rum coupla weeks and no mistake.  Nimmo, Springfield,
Kubrick - all newly arrived in that sandalwood-scented VIP lounge in
the sky.  Especially tragic as we'll now never get to see Stanley's
185-minute satirical psychodrama  'A Vicar on Jupiter', with Dusty and
Wendy Carlos spazzing Analogue Memphis skank-soul all over the
soundtrack.

Back on topic before Andy Dean smacks my legs...

Those of you in the London area may already know about tomorrow
night's "200 Troubled Teenagers" event in New Cross - an event I'm at
least a little uneasy about but shall probably attend out of sheer
curiosity.  It surely can't be as bad as all those Smiths nights they
used to have at two-bit Indie Clubs in the late 80s.  Not that I ever
attended one of those, alone, clinging to the walls all night with a
Southern Comfort or anything.  Oh no.

For some reason, Time Out have elected to list this event in the Gay
section.  Now, this could be because the venue is one frequented by
South-East London's gay community or (and I prefer to believe this
possibility) TO have genuinely jumped to a particular conclusion about
B&S and their fanbase.  They even refer to "Belle and Sebastiane"
throughout the piece.  Derek Jarman and rivers of spunk.  You know the
one.  1975, torture and martyrdom.  Cor blimey.

I say we all embrace this inadvertent act of pigeonholing.  Pam and I
intend to paint the Bowlie double-decker pink, and I *demand* that the
entire Camber Sands event be renamed Fopstock.  Copies of Trousers'
pamphlet "How To Cut It As A Straight Man In A Gay World" are
available from the Poetry Cafe.

That is all.

Mike.