Sinister: Heresy begins at home

John Johnston johnj at xxx.com
Fri Mar 12 12:07:11 GMT 1999

I love that band Belle and Sebastian but the whole Looper thing doesn't
really float my (paper)boat. I've got the last Looper single and as with A
Spaceboy Dream, I just think "Well alright then - but so what". Except for
the beginning of spaceboy dream where it sounds like " a trip to ma arse".
So should I get the album or will I continue to wonder what it's all about.

You know that band Steps? Don't you think they are the culmination of the
90s pop dialectic? You do? I thought as much. You don't need to be Hegel to
spot the Thesis, Antithesis and Synthesis at work. First of all boy bands
are all the rage. The 'That and their ilk sweep all before them. Until Girl
Bands arrive and replace the boy bands. The inexorable march of progress
means that only one solution follows - a boy-girl band. Is this the end of
history?

The thing is I always saw B&S as the antithesis of Oasis. When people used
to ask me what B&S were like I'd say - "You know that band Oasis, well
picture that point in the music/emotional universe furthest removed from
them and that's Belle and Sebastian". (That'll be my Canadian upbringing
making me define myself by what I'm not..). Anyhow if my hypothesis is
correct what can the future hold - a B&S/Oasis hybrid churning out stadium
filling anthems about uncertain sexuality and buses. Who knows? Dame fate is
a fickle mistress.

xx
John