Sinister: 10 Waronkington Place

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Mon Mar 15 15:38:46 GMT 1999

It's a long time since we heard from list hero Lenny Waronker, isn't
it? I'd almost forgotten about his very existence until the other day,
when I was quietly perusing the booklet that accompanies the excellent
compact disc release, "The Mad, Mad World of Soundtracks". Track
number eighteen is a pleasant ditty entitled "Malibu U", performed by
Harpers Bizarre. It is produced Lenny Waronker. Yes, that's right, I
said "produced".. It would seem that the song comes from a television
programme hosted by Rick Nelson (phwoooarrrr!) set in a summer school,
where one could enjoy "such subjects as surfing, sunbathing,
girl-watching and a field trip to a bikini factory". Top one.

Sounds a bit like the Bowlie Weekender. According to the Jeepster
website, the Camber Sands shindig is for "the intelligentsia of the
alternative scene", or something like that. I wonder if there'll be an
exam on the way in, or whether everyone has to clutch their exam
certificates, Linda Kerr style? Anyway, I can't go. I don't go to
places that don't allow women in (apart from public lavatories), so I
can't go to places where non-intelligent people are banned either.
Because they won't let me in.

I love the Genital Waves website! The best bit is "Things I Like", in
which Isobel lists a few of her favourite things, so that we can get
to know her a little bit better. These are the ones I liked best:

Going to Brownies;
Telling the time;
Dougal and the Blue Cat;
Stork SB Margarine;
Tying my own shoelaces;
"I'm Only a Poor Little Sparrow" and "There's No One Quite Like
Grandma" by the Wilfred Bramble School Choir;
Playing with my belly button.

Mister Moore, I hope you and your daughter have got your jim-jams and
johnnies packed. With a bit of luck, I'll get that tape off to you
this week, so you'll be able to back me up in my deluded theory that
Looper's "Ballad of Ray Suzuki" sounds like Denim's "The Great Grape
Ape-Hangers". Speaking of which, John Johnstone, I think you should
borrow a copy of the Looper album, or get someone to tape it, to see
whether you like it enough to justify shelling out loads of cash for
it. I think it's good, but I've only listened to it once so far. I
guess that's the trouble with spoken word things, not enough to get
your teeth stuck into (the exception that proves the rule is TV's
Jason King, of course). Keith, what's the biggest selling spoken word
album of all time?

The only birthday I'm interested in is Lenny Waronker's, and possibly
the Queen Mother's hundredth. By the way, was it Mister Murdoch who
found those secret medical reports about the Queen's piles in a ditch
in Ayr? I bet it bloody was, you know!

Sister Disco