Sinister: B+S and Tindersticks

Andrew Tracey viscount at xxx.net
Mon Mar 15 16:18:24 GMT 1999

All this talk of the seasons and how they relate to songs has indeed struck
a chord.
It ties in with a discussion which sprung up on the Tindersticks list. For
those familiar with Tindersticks' albums the first one (cover: painting of
a flamenco dancer) is autumnal (all those reds and browns). The second
album (cover: suit fitting in black and white) has a wintery feel whereas
Curtains is more spring/summer (cover: roses coming into bloom). Maybe the
new Tindersticks album will be summery disco tunes. For those who are
interested, it's going to be called 'Simple Pleasures'

As an aside, do the Americans on the list use the word 'autumnal' or do
they use a descriptive word based on 'fall' like 'the weather was very
fallian today'

So much music is all 'look at me, look at me, aren't I fab'. I think this
is what connects fans of B+S, Tindersticks and also Pulp, as Jan said. All
these bands don't *demand* our attention like acts such as Oasis, the Verve
and Robbie Williams. They seem to say 'We quite like the music we play and
it would be quite nice if you'd give it a listen. We're not going to force
you to listen to it though'.

I suppose the lyrics of B+S and Pulp also share the theme that a lot of
them are about people other than the author. There's the sense of the quiet
outsider, peering through the windows of other peoples lives.

Due to a bit of luck I had at the bookmakers I had money to burn when I
went out to purchase the Looper album so I bought the Smog CD 'Knock
Knock'. It is bloody fantastic and I'm wondering if any Sinisterines have
any recommendations as to their previous output. I vaguely remember a song
about horses which was quite good.

I've only been on the list a month or so and I was amazed at the length of
all the postings. 'How can they all find so much to write about', I
thought. As this debut post confirms, it's easier than I thought.

bye for now        Andrew Tracey