Sinister: Queen II is better than Queen I, no contest

John Johnston johnj at xxx.com
Tue Mar 16 16:52:01 GMT 1999

Friends

Mark Inter-Toto informed us
"but what really inspired me to write is your less-than-impressednes at
Robbie Williams. Why
do broad-minded people with perception and intelligence readily admit to
liking this irrelevant little man? "

The thing about Williams is sure, he is an irrelevant little man and even
I'm getting starting to get tired of
his media ubiquity and cheeky-chappie-forces-sweetheart persona, but he is
pure, unapologetic, route one entertainment. He's
relentlessly showbiz and that's how I like my pop stars. I once saw him do a
brief turn at The Regency Rooms in London. This is a kitsch cabaret show
both ironic and cheesy at the same time. On the bill that night were none
other than veteran hoofer Lionel Blair and dimunitive seventies sensation
Leo Sayer while Robbie sat at a table at the front with his entourage. The
host (who knows him quite well) called him on stage for an "impromptu" turn.
He did Angels and then after the host and his band had started doing Let me
Entertain You he was summoned back. He rocked that room like a master -
which he is. The kids were mad for him. It was pointless, mindless fun. It
said nothing to me about my life and thank God for that. As an aspiring
performer myself I was almost in awe of his performance. He may not be the
most appealing character but he's a fabulous performer and I take my hat of
to him.

I'm currently reading Giles Smith's Lost in Music - it's fantastic.

I'm also looking forward to the Picnic season :)

John
xx