Sinister: Queen I all the way, pal

Tim Hopkins hopkinstim at xxx.com
Wed Mar 17 09:01:01 GMT 1999

Keefyboy wrote:

>I doubt there's much truth in any of these things. It's defintely
something in the water.

Something to do with acid rain, as someone once said?

>It's not the people who write the songs anyway, it's the pixies, who
>come around at night and put great songs underneath peoplespillows.

This will explain why the Pixies never, ever had any good songs of their
own. They gave them away. Awwww, I'm really warming to the filthy
stinking rock pigs now. Making sure everyone else was happy by using up
all the *really* bad ones themselves.

PeeJay wrote :>Keith, what was the highest-selling spoken word record of
all time?

I believe it was 'Jammy Smears' by Ivor Cutler, a man with more than a
touch of the Stuart Murdochs about him. It sold more than two copies, I
think. Of course, the best seller might be something by the Pope. I like
the Pope's records, but only the early stuff before he sold out and went
rubbish. And before he started playing in Shane MacGowan's backing band.

The LP of the Investiture of the Prince of Wales (1969) came out on
well-respected reggae label Pama Records. This is the truth. I guess
that must be around the time they released skinhead reggae classic 'Wet
Dream' by Max Romeo, a cheery little song about a leaky roof. I bet the
Amphetameanies like it a lot.

Can I suggest that we make two lines, Jack Kerouac fans and Jack Kerouac
haters? Then we can all go out to the playground and have a big scrap,
until the dinner lady tells us to stop. That would be fun, and a great
way to spend playtime. I'm not telling you which side I'm on, except to
say that I've never thought that an artist's personal opinions or habits
were the most reliable guide to assessing the quality of their art.
Neither, come to think of it, have I ever thought that Jack Kerouac
books were good for anything but bogroll. Come to think of it, I'll
probably be inside at chess club with the softies.

I could write more but I'd only end up starting a fight. How come no-one
talks about Glo-worm on this list?

Me,

Tim