Sinister: Put the book back on the shelf

Andrew Tracey viscount at xxx.net
Wed Mar 17 04:14:27 GMT 1999

There's been a lot of discussion regarding books and literature in general
recently and I'm feeling a bit left out. I know B+S are regarded as a band
favoured by the 'literati' (English lit students, budding poets etc) and I
am drawn to a band who take care to ensure that their lyrics mean
*something*. The problem is I can't read books. Lord knows I've tried. I've
bought half a dozen books in the past six months but I can't seem to finish
any of them. I've had the Nick Drake biography since September and I'm only
on page 86. This is despite being really interested in Nick and enjoying
what I've read so far. I can't seem to read more than a few pages at a time
before my mind begins to wander and I lose interest. I studied physics at
university so I never had to read any cohesive prose, just equations and
suchlike. I can whizz through an encyclopedia for hours at a time but I
can't finish a novel.

Have any sinisterines who have a scientific leaning had any experience of
what I'm talking about?  Has anyone else forgotten how to read??

The Gentle Waves' video was on Alternative Nation on MTV tonight. I did
notice the subtle hand of a marketing strategy at work. Isobel gets an
*awful* lot of screen time in the video. Could this be anything to do with
the fact she looks rather fetching in her alice band and kipper tie?  Could
the Gentle Waves be the new Cardigans, an oasis of blonde loveliness amidst
a desert of plain looking fellows? I do miss the two hour Alternative
Nation. I used to love it when, out of nowhere, a Captain Beefheart video
would materialise.

Strobey, do not apologise for your y'alls. If it wasn't for regional
differences, we'd all be the same. Now, where did I put my jellied eels....

My sinister horses all failed miserably at Cheltenham yesterday so I'm
having another go today.

2.35  Papillon - not quite a mayfly but close enough

3.15  Allegation - that the Brits were rigged?? No way Mr Waterman
or      Archive Footage - all B+S videos appear to have been made in 1957

4.30  Lothian Commander - Being a Londoner (and therefore totally ignorant
of anything north of Watford) I'm hoping this refers to B+S country.

5.05  Northern Starlight - 'I dreamt I had to go to Mars....'

I'd also like to give public thanks to Craig-Lee (who's still in the
nursery) for the Smog info - much appreciated.

Bloody hell - 4am. I'd better go to bed.

bye for now         andrew tracey