Sinister: Today's tip - Direct Route in the 2.35

Mark Casarotto Mark at xxx.com
Wed Mar 17 12:11:45 GMT 1999

Andrew Tracey wrote:

 "see that Mark Casarotto is tapping me for racing tips. I don't profess to
be any kind of expert but seeing as it's Cheltenham this week I thought I'd
have a look through today's runners and see if any of the names have a
Sinisterine slant. Disclaimer - I don't know nuffink about racing so no
responsibility is
taken for any shirts lost."

Well, I've now checked the results, and assuming we'd all put a ten pound
stake on each horse below (to win, natch), the Sinister list would have lost
over thirty-eight thousand pounds! Phew! Still, we could probably have
invoiced the boy Murdoch, he's a soft lad.

Prominent profile - not placed
Silence Reigns - not placed
His Song - 4th, but he was the bloody favourite :(
Shore party - refused, the old nag.

What is even more disappointing is that Andrew neglected to select a runner
from the 4.30, which was won by Celtic Giant at 20-1 - the list would have
been up over 150,000 quid. Shame :(

Robbie Williams - I don't know why I was so down on him yesterday, but he
does get right up my arse. I don't know if being a pure route one
entertainer is a valid reason for liking anyone (back to Steps again, I
suppose). Your story of his encounter with Lionel Blair et al is pretty
impressive - it does change things a bit, but it's not like everyone gets to
hear about things like this, and it certainly doesn't make him any more
entertaining the rest of the time. And his music is mediocre at best, which
is a far more heinous crime :)

I reckon I'm just jealous, really.

When I think of summery B&S songs I get them clumsily muddled with what was
playing on my first few encounters with both their music and the sinister
phenomenon itself. The memory of Stuart gardiner singing Modern Rock Song
outside the Spreadeagle as the first London picnic moved out of the sunlight
links it inextricably with the nervous excitement and blissful weather of
that afternoon, though I'd say it's probably an autumn song, if anything.
Apart from the obvious titles like Fox in the Snow and A Summer Wasting, I
reckon people's memories are going to be almost entirely selective in
relation to what the song means for them.

So, another waste of your time. Back to sleep for me,
Mark xxx