Sinister: I'd rather Jack

Mctaggart, Robert MctaggartR at xxx.com
Fri Mar 19 11:10:11 GMT 1999

Dear Beatniks and Book Burners,

Naively, I never expected my Jack Kerouac comments to cause such a stir.  I
err...got a bit carried away.  Actually, I do like one Kerouac novel,
"Maggie Cassidy".  By the end of that one I was in love with Maggie Cassidy
myself, which is quite a compliment, I think.  Tim's right too, what people
are like in person doesn't necessarily negate the work they produce.  I'm a
big Serge Gainsbourg fan and no-one could call him perfect.  But at least he
never pretended otherwise and I find Jack's preaching of freedom just a tad
hypocritical, given that he was prone to bigotry.  And I think he's the sort
of person who likes to come out with the statement "I love women" when he
really means "I'm constantly on the pull cos I think with my prick, and I'm
too fucking selfish to have any concept of loyalty".  Anyway, I'll pass over
the comments comparing criticising Kerouac to right wing bible belt book
burners, because that was just ridiculous.

Mark C wrote:

>I don't know if being a pure route one entertainer is a valid reason for
>liking anyone (back to Steps again, I suppose).

I read an interview with Pete Waterman on the train the other day.  In it,
he cited the mighty influences of Northern Soul, Motown and hi-NRG on his
work, claimed that he was giving the kids what they want, said that he was
"street" about 20 times (because he lives in Warrington, which is where I
work, and it's hardly the Bronx), that people hated him merely because he
was rich and successful, and that PWL were the most truly independent label
in the country.  All very interesting (except that's what he always says),
and there may be some truth in it.  So when you're listing your reasons for
not liking Pete Waterman, the only really relevant one is not that he makes
blatantly commercial production line pop records for a mass audiences,
(there's nothing inherently wrong with that), but that Steps are shit.

Peter Miller wrote:

>Speaking of courses, how come only students feel the need to tell 1000
>strangers what "work" they're doing? You don't hear roadsweepers
>saying "I've got fourteen streets to do before lunchtime" do you? DO
>YOU? No, you don't. Because no one gives two hoots.

It's funny cos it's true.

Duke wrote:

>You never heard 'Throw Aggi Off The Bridge' with it's Meat Whiplash
>sonic wall of melody?

Actually I have.  And I rather liked it.  But surely if you'd said a "Jesus
and Mary Chain wall of melody", people might actually have got an idea of
what you were talking about?

>And you ask Meat Wholash???? get an education, kids!

Yeah, you heard him - get an education kids.  To save you from the wrath of
our very own Oliver Cromwell of pop, here's the information you need.  Meat
Whiplash, named after one of the late, great Fire Engines' more average
songs, came from Scotland (East Kilbride, as I recall).  They made a single,
"Don't slip up" on Creation, which sounded like it could've been a bonus
track on "Psychocandy".  Not bad, but nothing to feel you've missed out on.
I seem to remember them doing a Peel session, but don't quote me on that.
Better than Steps, but not as good as Britney Spears.  I do hope that clears
up any perceived gaps in your knowledge.

Melonballs wrote:

>(by the way, do you like my new, and hopefully improved, tag?)

But Chris, how can you improve on perfection?

Love Tag xx