Sinister: The Rockin' Berries (NBSC. In fact, resoundingly off-topic)

Tim Hopkins hopkinstim at xxx.com
Fri Mar 19 13:34:22 GMT 1999

Mister PJ 'Roger' Miller said (in reference to some fat berk talking
about the LP of Prince Charles being given Wales for his very own...)

>This is the most fascinating thing I've read on the list in ages. >This
is the truth. Have you got it, Tim? Could you scan the cover >and send
it to Paul? I've seen that Welsh voodoo slate circle thing >where he was
initiated, you know. Prince Charles, I mean, not Paul. >It was the same
day I bought the Runaround Quiz Book, which was the >subject of fevered
debate on the list a few months ago. WHSmith's. >The Queen did it.
Wearing green, I think.

Sadly, I don't have the LP. I saw it in a pound box in a stall on
Plymouth market about ten years ago. It might still be there, but I
wouldn't recommend going to to look for it because Plymouth is a strange
and terrible place. Strangely enough, the most loathsome aspect of that
town is their particularly unpleasant football team, who play in a manky
monkey-snot green strip. Perhaps green clothes is the link. Or perhaps
it is the fact that Prince Charles is also the Duke of Cornwall, and
Plymouth is (culturally) part of Cornwall. All I know is it's all
related, pal. Yeah.

Sorry if I have offended anyone from Plymouth on this list, but I'm only
telling the truth.

The Duke of Tiverton wrote:

>some stuff I've deleted about Black Tambourine, and getting an
>education

Yes, yes, and don't you think the time might round about now be just
perfect for that long dreamed-of Shapiros compilation, pal? How come
no-one talks about the Shapiros on this list?
For anyone intrigued by the prospect of getting a Dukester-style
education, it is always important to remember that you absolutely ARE
allowed to say "oi, Sir, what is this crap music you're playing? I can
barely concentrate on my wire sculpture project", and (as long as you
have remembered to call him Sir), he won't mind, especially since you
mentioned Wire, which shows you've been listening.
If he asks you to stay behind after pop class for a little extra Feelies
lesson on the side, well, I can recommend it. But when it's time to
study Meat Whiplash, run away. Pal.

The best thing ever in Plymouth was a record shop called Meat Whiplash.
It had *Bobby Gillespie* written on the shop hoarding. It was amazing.
This was when Bobby was the International King of all things pop, mind,
before he turned into a sad, wee-stained rawk parody. The shop closed
down.

Duke, what's the uniform like at the Harringay Ecole Superieur de Pop?
And what are the fees?

Hm. what an unusually South-West England orientated post.

Ah! Lee Hazelwood. I detest Lee Hazelwood for the following reasons:
1. that moustache
2. forcing The Byrds to erase most of Gram Parsons' vocals from
Sweetheart of The Rodeo. I'm not sure this is true, but I think it is.

And here's a little riddle for you, from the Hopkins archive of elderly
and retired jokes (it's where the jokes go to die):
You're stuck in a lift with a hungry tiger, an angry cobra and the
editor of a major music publication. You have a gun, and two bullets.
What do you do?

That is all for now. Sorry about the low interest factor in this post.
But I was bursting to talk about the Shapiros. And now I've relived
myself. Phew.

Have good weekends

Tim