Sinister: The Shapiros/The Gentle Waves

John eaws at xxx.com
Fri Mar 19 20:52:37 GMT 1999

  Hi Tim (and list)

I'm so so happy you brought up the Shapiros.  What a brilliant band
they were. Probably the best short-lived joy of indiepop music...

I dare say they were Pam's bestest outfit (well, after the Foxgloves,
sorry Mr Trousers). Thank god their singles are not rare like the
Black Tambourine ones so buy bye (to quote Maya) everyone, who hasn't
yet. Of course, their best song has to be "Do You Know", reason enough
for being forever grateful to wee jj of Fantastic Records. . .

Erm, how come everyone is posting their views on The Gentle Waves. I
thought the single wasn't out yet. Anyway, i'm a bit surprised to hear
that they're reminiscent of The Rosehips, I have to say I was
expecting a more classy comparison, given that most of the songs use
cool instruments like flute and clarinet. Admittedly, I had the
Would-Be-Goods in mind but how should I know, since I haven't heard
the GW single yet (i can't wait). Besides, Jessica's voice is totally
different (and far better, mind you). Oh well, I can't help
contradicting myself all the time.

I have best to send this now. At last i'm going out, after a week of
acute pharyngitis. Which probably just is a more formal term for sore
throat. Anyhow it was really terrible. Take care everyone.

  John x

ps (1): on the turntable right now: Scarlet's Well - Strange Letters
LP (Bid is back - hooray!)
ps (2): Thank you Honey! (you know what for)